PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
TPMS?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to echo
Default TPMS?!

So here it is. Not knowing how the tire pressure monitoring system works I bought some basic 15" rims and had other tires installed with normal valves only to see the light come on in the dash, oddly a day after they were installed. Talking to Chrysler I now understand how the system works but they want over $100 a valve plus install then the reprograming as well! Does anyone know if there are after market sensors that would work or even what type of system a 08 Crusier would have? I did read somewhere that it may have a VDO. Also my local Lordco show a listing for a $30 valve but it only works on Dominion system and I have not seen that name conected to PT Cruisers anywhere. Even my local dealer could not tell my what kind of system my car would have. Now concidering the popularity of modifing these great little cars there must be people out there who have found a way around this issue,yes? Any input other then just ignoring the light on the dash would be greatly accepted.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 09:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: TPMS?!

I don't know if this will help or not, but in the middle of winter with snow,ice,wind and all of that, the tip of one of my TPMS vales broke off prohibiting any air to be put in. O f course, by the time I figured that out I had let out so much air the tire was nearly flat. It happened on a Friday night and the only place I could find on Saturday was a Firestone Tire store. They fixed me up for a tad less than $200. $200 for one valve is excessive but I was stuck. Just a few weeks ago the same thing happened to another valve. This time I took a tip which I got off of this site and went to WalMart. This time it was fixed for $65. Still a lot, but not even close to the $200. In both cases the valves were put in and the dashboard light went out. There's no doubt in my mind that if this should happen again I'm heading to WalMart. They couldn't have been nicer.

Good Luck
Old 29 Apr 2011, 03:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: TPMS?!

You should be able to put your factory sensors in the aftermarket wheels.
Old 05 Oct 2011, 10:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: TPMS?!

A self contained battery operated wireless sensor in each tire that has to be programmed if replaced. What a "Mickey Mouse" system ! Designed for those that are to lazy to check their tire pressure periodically. Has anyone figured out how to put out that stupid warning light if it comes on ? I just had a sensor replaced on my wife's 09 Civic...162.00.
Roger