PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Timing belt installation check from the top?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2011, 04:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt installation check from the top?

I've got a problem with a 2004 PT Cruiser automatic nonturbo.

Short Story: PT running rough. Mechanic might have installed timing belt wrong. Can someone tell me how to check the timing belt from the top to confirm this?

Long story:
I created another thread because I had a P0508 code related to IAC motor. I troubleshooted that and I'm pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with that system. The car is been runnig rough since I picked up from the mechanic who did the timing belt at 90k miles. So I'm starting to think that the rough idle is due to the timing belt being off a tooth or two. From the forums, I see that it's hard to get the timing right.

I want to check the timing belt installation. This post mentions disassembly from top just enough to check the timing belt installation. Can somebody describe to me how I would do this? I want to go back to my mechanic so he can make it right, but considering the fact that he'd have to redo the whole job, he might be reluctant so I want to be armed with this knowledge when I go back and talk to him.
Old 30 Apr 2011, 07:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt installation check from the top?

Not sure of that procedure but as an alternative, you can take it into
a dealership, they can put on an OBDIII reader and get a reading as to how far out of spec the cam shaft sensor is compared to the crankshaft position sensor. If the belt has been installed improperly, it would show up on this test. Get a print out, go back to your mechanic and deliver the bad news.

alan
Old 30 Apr 2011, 11:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the tip alanrw! That would be a pretty good piece of evidence. Will the car being with the timing off ruin the parts they installed?
Old 01 May 2011, 09:33 pm
Young Cruiser

If it runs poorly, the guy got it close. If he was really off, it wouldn't run at all. The timing belt system on this car is unforgiving. Perfect or it runs like heck if at all.

alan