PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fan Relays - How Do You Disconnect Them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2011, 08:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fan Relays - How Do You Disconnect Them?

Just joined this the forum - this is a repost of my original from yesterday - it was probably tagged onto the wrong thread.

2007 PT Cruiser
46,000 miles
Fairly Basic Model
Wife is Primary Driver (until something breaks)

I need to test the fan relays, but I can't get them unplugged.

I've located the fan relays - they are located on the passenger side of the fan shroud. I understand how to test the relays and how to jumper out the relays to test the fan motor. HOWEVER (!) I cannot get the darn things out! They are marked "Tyco" on the top so I think that I'm looking at the right component. There is a plastic clip on the shroud side and when I release the clip the relay will lift straight up and off its mount. The problem is I cannot release the relay from the wiring bundle that comes up from underneath.

There is a second plastic clip located on the firewall side of the relay. Remember the clip to release the whole unit (wires still attached) is on the shroud side. The clip on the opposite side of the relay (fire wall side) looks like it should pop open and the wiring harness should pull out of the bottom of the relay. If I could do this the rely would come out and the wire (and presumably male plug) would stay in the vehicle.

Everything is very tight - but I've been able to open the second clip (again the one that connects the relay to the wiring harness that comes up from the bottom. However, it doesn't want to pull apart.

Has anyone ever had this experience and am I missing something?

The Hayes manual I have states that there are often two clips on connectors, but I can only find the one this this relay.
Old 02 May 2011, 07:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Fan Relays - How Do You Disconnect Them?

Here's a picture of what I think are the relays - but now I'm second guessing myself (they are the two units in the upper right hand corner of the picture:

06 -09 Chrysler PT Cruiser Radiator Cooling Fan & Motor | eBay

It's eBay item #220758111023 if the link above doesn't work.

I'm now wondering if I'm not looking at the fan relays and have misidentified the part. Looks like these guys are both permanently connected to the fan shroud.

Let me know. Still trying to sort this one out.
Old 02 May 2011, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Doesn't look like they are permanently connected at all. Isn't that some sort of connection in the silver atop each box with a screw or something that goes into the fan housing?

It does look a little different that the relay for sale on eBay for a 2006.

Radiator/Cooling Fan Relay for 06 PT Cruiser 04692079AA | eBay

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 May 2011, 06:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

CREWZIN,

Thank you! That's a definite ID on the Fan Relays - they are identical to the one that you sent in your post. Also, they are "stuck" like crazy - i.e. I can't get the wiring harness to come out from the bottom.

I'm going to try an alternate approach - I'll unplug the fan from underneath this weekend and see if I can get the fan to run. If the fan is shot, then I'll just replace it as a unit (the one in the eBay picture appears to include the relays and comes with a 1-year warranty).

There appears to be a design change between 2005 and 2006 model years. The 2005 model does not have the relays mounted on the shroud, the 2006 does. I'll have a look at the wiring harness when I get underneath and figure out if there is a way to fire the relay and get the fan running. My guess is that the connector on the 2006 model will have four wires, not three. The three-wire version (which I've read about in other posts) consists of a ground and two positives - one for high speed and one for low speed. If the harness on the 2006+ models also controls the relays mounted on the shroud, my guess (and this is really just a guess) will have four wires - one ground, one hot and two lighter gauge positive wires to energize the relays. I'll be able to identify the ground both by its location in the plug and it should have continuity to the frame of the vehicle. If I then put 12V+ on two of the remaining three contacts it should close a relay and the fan should run. Logically, if it doesn't happen with the first two positive wires (i.e. I put positive power to both the high and low relay, but no power to the fan motor) then I'll just put power to one other combination of the two positive wires and see if I get the fan to run. I'll try to first identify the control circuit - i.e. the lighter gauge wires that are used to energize the relays, but if they are undistinguishable, then the "pick any 2 of the 3" method above will work.

Naturally, I'm guessing (and making this all up!), but the logic seems reasonable and we'll see how well it matches with the real world once I get underneath the vehicle this weekend.

Again, thanks a bunch for pulling the picture of the relay. I didn't think of doing that as a way of positively identifying the relay. So I'm still on the right track!
Old 03 May 2011, 06:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

2006 was the year many things changed on the cruiser besides the look of the exterior and interior. The electrics had a major change the way things worked and were wired. They went from two fuse boxes, one interior and the DPC (Power Distribution Center) in the engine compartment to just one TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) which included all fuses and relays) in 2006.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 May 2011, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[QUOTE=AlphaBob;358679]CREWZIN,

There appears to be a design change between 2005 and 2006 model years. The 2005 model does not have the relays mounted on the shroud, the 2006 does. I'll have a look at the wiring harness when I get underneath and figure out if there is a way to fire the relay and get the fan running. My guess is that the connector on the 2006 model will have four wires, not three. The three-wire version (which I've read about in other posts) consists of a ground and two positives - one for high speed and one for low speed. If the harness on the 2006+ models also controls the relays mounted on the shroud, my guess (and this is really just a guess) will have four wires - one ground, one hot and two lighter gauge positive wires to energize the relays. I'll be able to identify the ground both by its location in the plug and it should have continuity to the frame of the vehicle. If I then put 12V+ on two of the remaining three contacts it should close a relay and the fan should run. Logically, if it doesn't happen with the first two positive wires (i.e. I put positive power to both the high and low relay, but no power to the fan motor) then I'll just put power to one other combination of the two positive wires and see if I get the fan to run. I'll try to first identify the control circuit - i.e. the lighter gauge wires that are used to energize the relays, but if they are undistinguishable, then the "pick any 2 of the 3" method above will work.
QUOTE]

AlphBob-Were you able to complete this? I need to work this out on my 2006 and am wondering what to expect at the fan wiring.