Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 2.4 engine bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2011, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 2.4 engine bad

Hey guys my name's Matt and I'll try to make this short as possible. My wife has a 2002 2.4 pt cruiser that's been having transmission problems. Now as of yesterday the ENGINE ran perfectly fine. It does have key on limp but we live in town and with low speed limits were able to still get around without getting over 3000rpms. My wife went to the bank this morning with no new issues. Opon leaving however, the engine runs hot without any warning. The temperature gauge never moved above normal operating temperature (midway between cold and hot). When she arrived home I could hear the engine rattling/knocking. Opon entering the driveway the car dies, starts smoking severly, and smelling horribly of coolant. Now my question is does anyone think the engine could be rebuilt, and if not about how much would a used enine cost. I know my way around vehicles and could do the work my self. I just know very little about the quirks of this car. Thank you for your time and help.
Old 02 May 2011, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 2.4 engine bad

you didnt say how many miles btu as far as getting hot that is usally just the head that will need replaced or milled doing the work yourself is over half the expense

if you end up doing the head id do the timming belt water pump and maybe oil pump depending on how many miles also if you open her up check to see how dirty the engin is if its really gunnkey maybe a total rebuild is a good idea

Id rather rebuild the engin that way you know what you have btu it si way more work than a engin swap so kind of up to you
Old 02 May 2011, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry it has 97,000 miles. I was thinking the same thing just a few more opinions. I did let it cool, added water to the radiator as I apparently have a leak, started the engine and no rattles knocks or even so much as a miss. Checked the oil and all is good, no burnt smell, color is not too dark, no water in the oil. Idk i'm at a loss for words to explin. It's like it never happened. Thanks for the imput
Old 03 May 2011, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The thermostat may have stuck, or the radiator cap needs replacing, or the hose to the coolant overflow tank is bad.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles