Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AT- Downshifts hard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2011, 12:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Default AT- Downshifts hard

I have a 05 with about 50,000 on it, I have recently noticed when im at 40 mph and slowdown fast to maybe 10-15 Mph it downshifts hard (think its 2nd to 1st), a klunk almost sound. I never noticed this untill the last few weeks. it does seem to be when its cold and the first downshift. I cant really "make" it do it, i have only notieced it maybe 2-4 times in the last month. it shifts fine otherwise, nothing wierd at all as far as I can tell. Tranny fluid is clean, smells fine and is as far as I know the correct stuff. Bought the car used. I know my folks own a 2010 mini van that does something somewhat the same and chrysler Dealer says not to worry (i think they are just wanting warrenty to end so they dont have to deal with it).

Anybody with some insight, just a quirk of the PT? Maybe its been there all along and I didnt notice it? panic?

I only worry as I buy and sell alot of cars that I mess with and the thing I see most of the time with chrysler products is bad trannies, I think right now there are 4-5 jeeps on craigslist in my area.
Old 02 May 2011, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AT- Downshifts hard

Our '06 was doing the same thing, took it to the dealer and they flashed the TCM. Straightened it out.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 May 2011, 05:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Our 08 had a hard downshift bump as well.

We got it flashed (under warranty) and its been perfect ever since.
Old 02 May 2011, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Please note:

The flash that has been mentioned is for 06-08 pts only.

Being that yours is an 05, the first thing I would check is all motor mounts. Have you had your trans serviced regularly?
Old 03 May 2011, 01:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Serviced... no idea I bought it used and have put about 8,000 miles on it since I got it. I have owned about 30-50 cars and never had a tranny go... and I might add never changed tranny fluid on any that had clean fluid.. a few that where cruddy looking I have done it on.

I am really out of the loop on chrysler transmissions, Im a GM guy.. they are (current stuff Well as of 05 ish) 100,000 miles no maintance, my lat GM car didnt even have a dipstick (i like the no maintance.. but MAN!!! give me a way to check it without crawling underneath!!!).

Today on way to work it did it.. temp was about 35, car was not warmed up, I think its when the car is 3rd or 4th and shifts to 1st in one shot. its not a clunk its just a very harsh downshift... Im almost leaning to the tranny shifting to 1st to soon... its alot like shifting to first in My vette at 20MPH... its way to soon and the engine really has to wine, almost skid the back tires... had the car about 9 months now and never noticed it before, but it may have been there? I do know it doesnt seem to do it warm, and when its really cold I have na AUTO start so its warm when i go. this thing has not been hotrodded at all by me.. im a very mello driver.

i did just get back from a 2000 mile trip and at least 1000 miles of it was in MT and the hills/Mountains... car drove fine.. lots of downshifts in hills/Mts, but trip was good.. roughly 25MPG in those hills at 75... (of course thats the whole trip so there was plenty of smooth driving too).

I know there are a few camps on teh Tranny flush/fluid change thing.. I will be honest Im in the dont mess with it if its clean camp.. and never ever FLUSH.. as it can losen stuff up.. nowdays with the modern detergent oils and fluids it may not be as much a risk.

but again, Im not in the KNOW on chrysler.. do they recomend 30,000 mile tranny changes like most car makers did in the past?

Last edited by clok1966; 03 May 2011 at 01:04 pm.
Old 03 May 2011, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The PTs transmission service interval is every 48k miles (this interval is for police, taxi, towing, etc). Here is Socal, just driving to work everyday falls into this category as most travel upwards of an hour in stop and go traffic.

If you live out in the sticks, there is no transmission fluid change interval.

Sounds like a trans solenoid problem to me. Best to have a dealer look at it. If you have the "KNOW HOW", you could look into it yourself. Its just so much easier with a Starscan or WiPod (dealer scanners).
Old 04 May 2011, 11:40 am
Young Cruiser

I have a Scanner (good one) as I work on cars pretty regular.. I buy um off Craigslist, work on them and sell them.... most of the time I lose money (ya Im an idiot) but I enjoy it... and once and awhile i make some moeny to break even... we all like differnt things..

I was just wodnering if this was a common thing on the Chrysler stuff as My folks new van has it too. And as i say I must have fixed at least 10 jeeps with bad trannies (most common problem i see with them if they have the straight 6, they will go forver motor wise) and i have done 3-5 mini vans.. But Im sorta sick of tranny swaps.. its only a 4-8 hour job.. but im getting older and lazyer.

Going to scan it and see what comes up.. on my 2000 mile trip a few weeks ago the check engine light did come on (talk about panic mode when im 800 miles from home with 200 miles to go) but it went off once the car was shut off for an hour or so. I still havent pulled the codes and its not come back (even on the 1000 miles back).

And as I sy the tranny fluid is as clear as a fresh quart, its right on whenyou pull the dipstick warm, it looks great.
Old 05 May 2011, 11:55 am
Young Cruiser

did alot of googleing and seems this is fairly common.. I see alot of 03 PT threads about a service bulliten on it. and you guys have said 06 and up.. so my 05 seems ot be in the middle and no tech bullitens.

One guy said to try a transmission control module reset .. Anybody know how to do this? Im going to do the battery unhook and see, but most threads said that didnt help, it needed to be actually reset.
Old 16 May 2011, 10:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Any more news and advice on this issue? My '08 is also downshifting hard down to 1st gear. I'm at 57k miles.
Matt
Old 16 May 2011, 11:04 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

When I had my wife's 01 N/A transmission done at 78k miles the tranny guy ( friend of mine) told me that to make the transmission last forever the fluid should be changed once a year or around 15k miles.....He was VERY HAPPY non of the automakers have that maintenance schedule, because it keeps all the tranny guys on business