Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help with a no start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2011, 05:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help with a no start

Ok so a buddy of mine brings me his 01 PT on a trailer and says it won't start. The story goes like this.
Driving down the highway I noticed a loss of power. The car felt like someone was holding it back. So I pulled over to investigate. Opened the hood had no noises, smells, or anything out of the ordinary. As I was closing the hood the engine quit. I jumped in the car and started it back up. It started hard but it started. Proceeded down the road. A mile or so down the road the same power loss again. Foot to the floor and losing speed. Engine quits I coast to the roadside. Now the car won't start.
So I do some looking, timing belt is intact though long over due. Have good spark' and good compression. So I juice the TB with carb clean and it still won't fire. No codes past or present in the computer. Coolant was a tad low not enough to be to concerned with, and it could use an oil change lol. Sadly as I am writing this my little brother called me and he's having the same problem. Anyone have any good ideas for me cause I am out of them, and I hate just throwing parts at stuff to attempt fixing stuff.
Old 03 May 2011, 05:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help with a no start

One possibility is the catalytic converter. If the matrix inside cracks, it can block the exhaust. If exhaust is blocked, first you lose power, then you can't start.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 May 2011, 09:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
One possibility is the catalytic converter. If the matrix inside cracks, it can block the exhaust. If exhaust is blocked, first you lose power, then you can't start.

I had this happen on my OBDI Sportage .... It would always restart though, but at first couldn't get it over 45, then 25. Brought to dealership my uncle was service manager for, he said the driver that took it to the exhaust shop they send out to could not get it over 15.

Can't tell you how to test it, seems like an OBDII system should have some kind of below threashold codes???

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 03 May 2011, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I say unbolt the exhaust ahead of converter & see if it starts.
Old 03 May 2011, 05:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I say unbolt the exhaust ahead of converter & see if it starts.

I thought of that too ... but it will surely throw a few codes then. I haven't look ... hopefully there is an unbolt point ... I don't think disconnecting from manifold and starting would be a wise choice though.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 03 May 2011, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just my $.02. I know you don't want to throw parts at it and I also know you have no codes, but I have read, just once, that someone's Camshaft sensor went bad and no code was seen.

Short story. My Camshaft harness burnt out when the when it broke away from the plastic holdings and dropped to a point where the harness was rubbing on the passenger side spinning half-shaft. It lost power, then back to normal for a few seconds, then lost it again and finally quit. I did get the P0340.

But when it does go, you have spark, it turns over forcefully, but it won't start without the signal from the sensor.

I don't think there's a way of testing it, but if you do buy a new one and it doesn't start, know that you replaced a part that will eventually go bad anyway and you just replaced it sooner than later.
Old 05 May 2011, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

No luck with disconnecting the exhaust still no start. Going to try cam position sensor next. Hope for the best!
Old 05 May 2011, 02:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwindy View Post
No luck with disconnecting the exhaust still no start. Going to try cam position sensor next. Hope for the best!
Fuel pump pressure, after so many miles the pumps wear out if you do not change the filter. If you let them run low on gas, the gas keeps the pump cool.
Old 05 May 2011, 03:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwindy View Post
If it was the CAT, you would've received a code like P0420. There's a downstream o2 sensor tapped into your CAT for a reason, so if you received no code then that explains why it wasn't your CAT that was at fault.

Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by interrex View Post
Fuel pump pressure, after so many miles the pumps wear out if you do not change the filter. If you let them run low on gas, the gas keeps the pump cool.
Good point!

To reiterate, don't ever let your fuel gauge reach the red mark.
Old 05 May 2011, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The fuel not only keeps the pump cool it also lubricates it. As far as the filter goes, it's a lifetime filter, supposedly never needs changing or cleaning. Never remember ever hearing anyone on the forum say they've had to change or clean the filter.