Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Muffler Delete Pipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2011, 06:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Muffler Delete Pipe

I intend upon placing a glass-pack along the down pipe, but I need a muffler delete pipe that will hang from the stock location at the back so that the exhaust gases still exit behind the passenger cabin. I've heard of these pipe, yet I am unaware of where to find one. Help?
Old 03 May 2011, 07:01 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Muffler Delete Pipe

It would be best,and cheaper to go to an exhaust shop and have them run a pipe for you.Since your car is NA you will probably lose power by removing the muffler.The NA PT's use back pressure to make power.

Last edited by SCBluePT; 03 May 2011 at 07:03 pm.
Old 03 May 2011, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ditto what SC says, there's a shop not far from me that does a cat-back pipe with no muffler, custom mandrel bent, 2.5" or 3", for $125 installed. Hard to beat that price, and it's a great pipe that will last much longer than factory.

Lots of muffler shops do that. Also, a glass pack on the down pipe? Got to be the world's smallest glass pack to fit that short drop.
Old 04 May 2011, 10:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im referring to the pipe that runs the length of the cabin for the pack. If removing the muffler is a bad idea. any suggestions on what exhaust mods i could make for better noise, and POSSIBLY more power or MPG.
Old 05 May 2011, 11:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Keep a muffler on the N/A. Brand of muffler comes down to preference, but Vibrant and Magnaflow make good pieces.

Old 05 May 2011, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Are they chambered designs, or straight-through pipes? I looked at a universal magnaflow muffler, and it was a straight (well, curved, but unchambered) piece?
Old 05 May 2011, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had the DynoMax 17732 at one time, Chambered I believe. Didn't sound bad at all and no drone.

Have custom duals from California Cruisers now. Bought them at a steal form someone that sold his car and took them off. A little too loud for my tastes so I added a resonator to quiet them down.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 May 2011, 07:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Looking at the pipe, it looks fairly straight, and only a muffler replacement would be necessary, not the whole magnaflow or flowmaster or whatever kit. Do you guys just recommend simply replacing the muffler, not all the pipes?