Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hi-Miler Hoses and Larger Throttle Body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2011, 12:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hi-Miler Hoses and Larger Throttle Body

I'm new to working on fuel injected cars. I have two questions.

1. Is there anywhere I can a larger, higher flowing throttle body for an N/A PT? I'm told these increase throttle response; is this true?

2. I'm redoing aspects of my engine bay to add color, blue and silver. Are these a good idea? Goodyear Replacement Belts and Hoses 5017 - Goodyear Super Hi-Miler Hose Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Old 06 May 2011, 01:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Hi-Miler Hoses and Larger Throttle Body

no one makes a bigger throttle body, i think. i've found a universal one on ebay but everyone shot it down.
here you go, i found the thread Larger Throttle Body
Old 06 May 2011, 01:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I saw some of those on eBay but I get nervous with "universal" parts because they can lead to a major hassle. What about the hoses?
Old 06 May 2011, 01:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

i asked just about everything about bolt-ons. I asked about headers, intake mani, and the throttle body. I even asked about gimmicks, even tho everyone told me to stay away from the snake oil, i did it anyways lol.
Old 06 May 2011, 01:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

idk about the hoses, but they look really nice. If they're coming from summit, i would think they would be good. but then again, i don't know. I'm a exterior/interior cosmetics guy. lol don't really know to much about the technical side of things.
Old 06 May 2011, 07:49 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Check your Throttle Body because a believe every 5 speed came with the 47mm and the automatic with the 52mm.. I have a 2003 5 speed turbo and it came with the 47mm, so bought an auto 52mm used TB from Ebay and swapped them. You have to make sure it for a 01 - 02 because after 03 they changed.
Also there are a few companies that turn your TB to a 55mm for about $150 but I don't know if is worth it for and N/A.

I've seen people swapping the plastic intake manifold from a Turbo PT for a better flow...

And some people change cams from a 2.0 neon also...

You should check ptcrew.com for more info
Old 06 May 2011, 08:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Xtrem, how do I check that?
Old 06 May 2011, 08:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The larger Throttle Body won't do the stock N/A cruiser any good. You need further modifications to the engine itself for the lager bore TB to be useful.

A better throttle response was seen by myself and others by changing the air intake. Doesn't matter if you go for a high dollar custom fit for the PT intake like the K&N or Air Raid or a short ram like I did, the throttle response was better from the very point of stepping on the throttle all the way up to red line.
Old 06 May 2011, 12:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I believe has a number 52 stamped somewhere in the TB.....like I said, you should ask this at ptcrew.com...I have seen a lot of N/A guys there with a lot of performance mods

In my experience, I've got some extra HPs by installing an Airaid intake and a Borla Dual exhaust in my wife's 01 N/A Auto....I did feel a lot more power after those two mods.

Last edited by XtrmDC2; 06 May 2011 at 12:15 pm.
Old 06 May 2011, 03:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
I believe has a number 52 stamped somewhere in the TB.....like I said, you should ask this at ptcrew.com...I have seen a lot of N/A guys there with a lot of performance mods

In my experience, I've got some extra HPs by installing an Airaid intake and a Borla Dual exhaust in my wife's 01 N/A Auto....I did feel a lot more power after those two mods.
Save your money and get an aftermarket drop in air filter. They're cheaper and will help throttle response for the automatic PT.

Alot more power, eh. The Airaid is great because it is still an enclosed system and makes a cool sound. Big 2-3 hp gain which you can't feel with a butt dyno. The Borla exhaust makes a great sound, but you'll get no hp gain. You should do a before and after on the dyno if you want to prove a claim. I've seen a dyno on these two items and there is very minimal gain you couldn't possibly feel. The cool new sounds would be making you think you have more power. I also did those two mods on my '01 PT and my wife's Corolla still kicked my butt.