Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C blows warm at idle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2011, 03:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Default A/C blows warm at idle...

But is ice cold once I get above 30 mph.

Ideas?

It's the first hint of trouble I've had with the car since I bought it 2 years ago... no CEL and the engine is at normal operating temp.

Last edited by Travis2k7; 06 May 2011 at 03:03 am.
Old 06 May 2011, 07:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C blows warm at idle...

Travis, sounds like your fan isn't working correctly. No air being blown through the radiator and condenser at idle but when you get going, plenty of fresh air through the front grill.

Cold engine, stand in front of the car, hood open. Start the car and turn on the A/C. Go around front and see if the fan is spinning. My hunch is that's it's not.

You can rewire the fan motor, but a new motor or buy the whole fan assembly for about $100 on eBay and install it yourself with the help of a step-by-step on the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 May 2011, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree, low-speed fan is what I would suspect.
Old 06 May 2011, 09:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Travis, sounds like your fan isn't working correctly. No air being blown through the radiator and condenser at idle but when you get going, plenty of fresh air through the front grill.

Cold engine, stand in front of the car, hood open. Start the car and turn on the A/C. Go around front and see if the fan is spinning. My hunch is that's it's not.

You can rewire the fan motor, but a new motor or buy the whole fan assembly for about $100 on eBay and install it yourself with the help of a step-by-step on the forum.
Thank you both for the response...

Just tried it and that is exactly what happened... cold engine, started the car, fan was not spinning. The A/C was cold, although I assume that would change once the engine got warm.

Would you happen to be able to dig up a link of what I would need? The car is a 2006 limited, non-turbo, the 8th letter of the VIN is B. (I've seen that requested at auto parts stores)

Not very much interested in rewiring, I'd rather just replace what is broke.

Thanks!
Old 06 May 2011, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here are a couple links for you.

For the fan assembly.

2006-2008 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER Radiator FAN Assembly | eBay

They are also selling just the motor for the fan assembly but you still have to take the whole thing out to replace the motor and it's about the same price as the whole assembly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FOUR-...Q5fAccessories

For taking out the old and replacing. I wrote it for the 01-05 cruisers but should be about the same for yours.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 06 May 2011 at 11:59 am.
Old 06 May 2011, 02:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Much appreciated :-)
Old 06 May 2011, 06:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Wow, guys, if it weren't for our radiator fans, funky motor mounts, and regular maintenance, we'd need no tools at all ....

Tim
Old 21 May 2011, 10:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok, I'm having issues again.

I ordered the fan and had it installed about 10 days ago... I had the A/C checked, was told all was well and it was blowing cold.

Now, I left Georgia on Tuesday on my cross country drive to Washington, and up until that point the A/C had been working fine.

When I left Tuesday it was 60 degrees, and has been 45-65 for the entire trip up until today when I hit Montana and it was 75 degrees. I turned on the AC and it was blowing lukewarm air.

This was the first time I had turned on the A/C since Monday. I popped the hood, turned it on, and the "clicking" sound I have heard in the past (compressor coming on and off?) did not exist...

So my question is, in the 5 days since I last used the A/C, did my compressor mysteriously blow up or did all my freon mysteriously vanish?

Or could it be something else?
Old 22 May 2011, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hard to say. The first thing you need to do is have the R134a checked for proper pressures. Lots of A/C places will do it for free. Check around.

Old 22 May 2011, 09:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Hard to say. The first thing you need to do is have the R134a checked for proper pressures. Lots of A/C places will do it for free. Check around.
Ok, I'll do that this week. Currently in Idaho and finishing the trip today. One thing I have going for me is the 45-65 degree forecast all week in Seattle, which is certainly a lot different than southeast Georgia.

Still, I want it working it case I need it this summer... Haha!

Will post when I get it checked out.