Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
something looks like an ut oh!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2011, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default something looks like an ut oh!

greetings fellow clansmen of the gunk under fingernails clan. i got my 02 2.4 tore down today to the cam sprockets and back coverplate. tomorrow i will start changeing out things for my re-assembly. it looks to me, that to get the back coverplate off for access to the water pump, i have to pull the cam sprockets off among other things. please, somebody tell me that i dont have to do that. i dont think i seen that step in the directions. also, im guessing that the earliest i can start this puppy up to check my timing, is when i replace the through bolt in the motor mount. does that sound about right? thx, terry
Old 07 May 2011, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: something looks like an ut oh!

Check in the performance section for the directions,

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 May 2011, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am getting ready to do the timing belt in my daughters car and I can answer part of your question. Yes you have to pull the cam sprockets to get the back timing belt cover off so that you can replace the water pump. The important step here is to get a tool that will hold the sprockets from moving while you loosen the bolts for the cam sprockets. Although there is a pin for alignment it is not like a key way that will hold the sprocket in position. On re-assembly make sure that you torque the bolt to factory specs. I have read more than one story of individuals putting this back together only to have the motor jump time because of improper torque of the cam sprockets.

I would like the know the answer to your second question as well. I was not planning on putting everything back together before checking the timing. just enough to start the engine and run for a little while for testing. I don't want to put it all together just to take it apart because I did not get the timing correct. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08 May 2011, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

i got another question. when i turn the crank, the cam sprockets do not move. i think i read not to move the sprockets by the cams. is cams not moving a sign of worse things to come ? if i move them while getting the bolts out how screwed am i for getting everything lined back up for assembly ? thx, terry
Old 10 May 2011, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by twrh111 View Post
i got another question. when i turn the crank, the cam sprockets do not move. i think i read not to move the sprockets by the cams. is cams not moving a sign of worse things to come ? if i move them while getting the bolts out how screwed am i for getting everything lined back up for assembly ? thx, terry
The belt is on, you turn the crank, and camshafts don't move? I can't see that happening unless all the teeth are gone off the belt.
Read up on posts on replacing the timing belt - I haven't done it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles