Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Error codes the morning.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2011, 08:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Error codes the morning.

This is a day I really need to start over. Just on the highway this morning and check engine light comes on. I turned around and went home and my car pool buddy and I take their ride to work.

I checked for codes and got 2. They are both listed in the sticky for this forum. I'm posting codes here wondering what I do with it and what do they mean. I'll be searching the forum later for an answer, but being an hour late this morning I guess I need to earn that $$$.

Thanks.

P0485 Cooling Fan Power/Ground Circuit Malfunction
P1684 Driver 5 Line 4
Old 10 May 2011, 08:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Error codes the morning.

Good news, bad news.

P1684 does not indicate a problem; it's only a status, which indicates that the PCM memory has been cleared within the last 50 ignition cycles.

P0485; Can't find a direct link to exactly what's happening with that one. Is the car overheating? Does the fan come on when you turn on the A/C? It should and that would mean the relays and fuses have to be looked at to find out if it's one of them or the fan motor has burnt out which is a very common problem.
Old 10 May 2011, 08:54 am
Regular Cruiser

AC has a leak so we haven't used it in two years. I hadn't gone 3 miles and I did notice that the temp was smack dab in the middle. I will watch and see what kind of fan action I get.

Thanks for the info C.

Why is a fan motor as much as the whole assembly?

We are talking the radiator fan, not the blower motor fan?

Last edited by monitor51; 10 May 2011 at 09:28 am.
Old 10 May 2011, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not sure why the motor itself is as expensive as the whole assembly. Never thought about it till you mentioned it. eBay has either one for under $100. You still have to take the whole assembly out to replace the motor. Iguess it's the buyers choice to get the motor or whole thing.

You didn't mention anything about the A/C and if it's just low in R134a then you can just have it recharged to get the system working again but then you have to figure why it went low in the first place. A good tight system will stay full and not need anything for years.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 May 2011 at 10:32 am.
Old 10 May 2011, 11:24 am
Regular Cruiser

Rockauto has the whole she bang for about $82, even one for $60. Plus shipping who knows. If it is the fan motor the whole thing gets replaced.

I had the AC recharged last summer. That lasted about a week. Luckily I've found a garage where the guys there are top notch and they don't kill me on labor. I've talked to them about it and they are ready to take my money to look at it.

Ya know, started car pooling a couple months ago. Sold my Mustang last week and have been looking for a TDI to replace it. Replaced the suspension on the cruiser over spring break and now this. I'm thinking I might want to replace the Cam sensor next pay check, just to get it before it goes bad. Ever since it warmed up the multi-function switch hasn't misbehaved, but it is on the list of replacement parts.
Old 10 May 2011, 06:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well, in my haste and panic I must have read it wrong. I still have 1684 but the other is...

P0455 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Leak Detected

What is that?
Old 10 May 2011, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That just might be a loose gas cap. Many owners get that code when they don't tighten the gas cap after filling up. It should click 3 times to make sure it's tight. It will go away by itself in about a day if that's the reason for the code ...if you go out and make sure it's tight.
Old 10 May 2011, 06:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Really. Makes sense from what I just read. If not the gas cap it doesn't sound like it would be unsafe to drive with this.
Old 10 May 2011, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The ONLY time it's not safe to keep riding is if the fault light (engine shaped light) is flashing. A steady light is OK to drive with, unless of course whatever fault there is would bring the car to a halt when your driving (P0340 - Camshaft sensor is one of them).
Old 10 May 2011, 06:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ok, this is where I hit meself with a hammer. Gas cap wasn't even on. Thing is I'm the one who last put gas in it and that was Friday or Saturday and it does it today? Trip meter and gas gauge are in line with each other. I would think it would be quicker than that to get that error if I had not gotten the cap on when I filled it. Or maybe someone tried to steal some....I don't know. Guess I'll wait and see if this clears up.