Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Not even a jump worked! Any ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2011, 08:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Not even a jump worked! Any ideas?

Hi All!
I appreciate any advice one can give! I have a 2006 Pt Cruiser with 115,000. Last evening I was driving home from my run with no problems. Stopped and got gas, no problems. Was getting off the freeway and at the light was idle(for a red light, of course!) When the light turned green I tried to accelerate, nothing happened. Someone stopped with a jump box, nothing. He tried the jumper cable, nothing. A friend came with jumper cables, still nothing. Needless to say, battery is fine. When trying to start you could hear it trying to turn over but nothing. We had it towed to the shop and am awaiting a call from them. Im just curious, any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 10 May 2011, 08:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Not even a jump worked! Any ideas?

Timing belt. Should have been replaced at 100,000K
Old 10 May 2011, 08:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thats exactly what I have gathered doing a little researc, too! Thanks for the quick response! Any idea on the price range it should be?
Thanks again!
Old 10 May 2011, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you sitting down? Anywhere from about $800 to $1200 depending on where you have it done. Dealer is the most expensive because of the hourly rate. It takes anywhere from 5 to 7 hours labor without parts prices. We also recommend that everyone change the water pump and belt tensioner when doing the timing belt and I recommend only finding a place that has done the timing belt job before. Getting a low price from someone that just quotes off the top of their head and has never done it before will have you coming back with problems.
Old 10 May 2011, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

About $1,000 - water pump also gets replaced. It is a LOT of work.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 May 2011, 08:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yikes! Out of curiousity, if i would have gotten it replaced at 100,000 likeyou ercommended(before it went out) would have it been cheaper or would I be looking at about the same either way?

Also, Im afraid Ill be looking at a downhill slope of problems after this. I have read alot online but I know you all are probably better educated to tell me about the rep of the cruiser from here... Any thoughts?
Thanks for all your help!
Old 10 May 2011, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Replacing it before it breaks is the same - there is a chance you have damaged valves when the belt broke, which would make it cost more, but we're assuming it didn't.

There are not a lot of problem areas with the PT -
radiator fan
Multifunction switch
Camshaft sensor

If you have an automatic, I'd recommend having the tansmission flushed with ATF + 4 only by a place that has a flushing machine - runs about $200, but prolongs the life of the auto.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 May 2011, 09:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Okay, great! The information you have given is relieving(beside the pretty penny I'll be letting go of today!) I'm not aure what ATF - 4 is but Im guessing a mechanic would!
Thank you so much for being so helpful!
Old 10 May 2011, 09:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

I got a quote from a local guy for 500 for timing and water pump, parts and labor. Idk if u could luck out like that

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 10 May 2011, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by durhamchic View Post
Okay, great! The information you have given is relieving(beside the pretty penny I'll be letting go of today!) I'm not aure what ATF - 4 is but Im guessing a mechanic would!
Thank you so much for being so helpful!
It's atf + 4 = Automatic Transmission Fluid + 4 - it's what our transmissions take, and NO OTHER fluid should be put in them.