Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ignition Switch Malfunction/Actuator Pin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2011, 08:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Post Ignition Switch Malfunction/Actuator Pin

I just completed a fairly easy repair on a malfunction that took me by surprise the other day. I own a 2005 PT, 5 speed, non turbo, K&N Cold Air Intake System, chip mod, with about 30,000 miles on it and I had gone home for lunch that day. When I went back out to my PT and tried to start it, the key turned the switch on, but the motor didn't turn and when I pulled the key back out of the ignition switch, the dash lights and radio stayed on, I immediately grabbed a wrench and disconnected the negative battery cable so as to not drain the battery. Later that evening when I returned home I started searching for answers on the internet and was surprised at how few posts that I could find pertaining to ignition switch malfunctions. Now bear in mind, I baby my PT,(With the exception of smoking through the gears to accelerate to freeway speeds, LOVE THIS!), so I have never reefed hard on my ignition switch, it has always been easy to turn. Anyway, I finally found a relevant post the next morning, after changing my search words on Google and Bing many times, on a Dodge Neon forum. After reading I had determined that the possible malfunction was a part called the Ignition Switch Actuator Pin, a part manufactured by Dorman, part# 924-704 that costs about $40.00 from your local auto parts store and has a youtube video on how to do the repair yourself and save hundreds of bucks. Anyway, I just wanted to share this info with as many people as possible so that I could possibly save some folks some headaches. I hope this info is helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 924-704-007.jpg (32.1 KB, 123 views)
Old 11 May 2011, 12:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition Switch Malfunction/Actuator Pin

Thnx!!!!

Up 'til now, BUYING A NEW COLUMN has been the factory sanctioned fix.

Sticky or archive?!
Old 18 Jun 2011, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog View Post
I just completed a fairly easy repair on a malfunction that took me by surprise the other day. I own a 2005 PT, 5 speed, non turbo, K&N Cold Air Intake System, chip mod, with about 30,000 miles on it and I had gone home for lunch that day. When I went back out to my PT and tried to start it, the key turned the switch on, but the motor didn't turn and when I pulled the key back out of the ignition switch, the dash lights and radio stayed on, I immediately grabbed a wrench and disconnected the negative battery cable so as to not drain the battery. Later that evening when I returned home I started searching for answers on the internet and was surprised at how few posts that I could find pertaining to ignition switch malfunctions. Now bear in mind, I baby my PT,(With the exception of smoking through the gears to accelerate to freeway speeds, LOVE THIS!), so I have never reefed hard on my ignition switch, it has always been easy to turn. Anyway, I finally found a relevant post the next morning, after changing my search words on Google and Bing many times, on a Dodge Neon forum. After reading I had determined that the possible malfunction was a part called the Ignition Switch Actuator Pin, a part manufactured by Dorman, part# 924-704 that costs about $40.00 from your local auto parts store and has a youtube video on how to do the repair yourself and save hundreds of bucks. Anyway, I just wanted to share this info with as many people as possible so that I could possibly save some folks some headaches. I hope this info is helpful.
Old 07 Sep 2012, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Ignition Switch Malfunction/Actuator Pin

I also had a ignition Switch Actuator Pin to break on my 2003 PT Cruiser. Discovered that after i had to replace a starter. The mech that i took the car to showed me what kept the car from starting. He said that i would have to buy an entire assembly that would cost a fortune from the dealer because i could not buy just the broken piece. So i did some looking and found out that I could replace the broken piece from $27 to $45. i looked at Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Napa Auto, O'Reilys, Amazon, etc. Also found a video on how to install the part. The video looks like it would be easy to replace. Just thought that i would share.
Old 07 Sep 2012, 08:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

mine broke and left me stranded at work, which was lucky. the day before i drove with three of my friends to a concert 200 miles from home. i couldn't get over how bad it would have been if it had broken the night before and we were left stranded so far from home. i cured the problem permanently on my car. - i made my own. the steering wheel no longer locks, but i know for sure that piece will never fail. it's been a year now, i've never had an issue and i've never worried about it again.

Old 13 Sep 2012, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi,

My daughter's 2004 PT Cruiser with just over 100,000 miles will not start. It does not turn over the motor. Turn the key, the dash lights come on but nothing from the starter. Not even a click. The battery seems good.

Could this be a bad Actuator Pin? What else could it be? It broke down on her one night. First it quit running but restarted. Then quit again soon after. Then it would not do anything and we had to have it towed home.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 04 Jan 2013, 12:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for posting this! I know its been up for a while but I had the exact same problem two days ago with my car. Between you and DORMAN parts I was able to fix the actuator myself for less than $50.