PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Running out of money and things to replace.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2011, 02:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Running out of money and things to replace.

Ok guys ill try to explain this the best I can. I have a 2003 PT non-turbo with the 5 speed tranny. It has 91k miles on it and sometimes runs like a dream, but then all the sudden it falls on its face. I can clear the computer and drive the car maybe 3 miles and sometimes longer, then the engine light will come on and I hear a chime sound. After a few seconds the engine light will start flashing and it is like someone is applying brakes. Most of the power fades away fast and the engine is running rough and sometimes dies if I push in the clutch and let off the gas. To keep it moving I have to gear down, or I can turn the key off and right back on and it will fire up and run like new for a random length of time. Sometimes after turning the key off and back on it will run for several miles like a new car even tho the engine light is still on solid. Then other times it will only run like new for a few seconds, just enough to pick up some speed before the engine light starts flashing again. It keeps giving code P0352. I went on a shopping spree and purchased several new parts. I installed new platinum plugs gaped at .040, new plug wires, new cam sensor, new crank sensor, new temp sensor, new PCV valve, and two different new coil packs. Checked all the wires coming from the computer under the hood to the coil pack for damage. Checked fuel pressure while running great and while running bad and it is holding 58 psi even at 3/4 throttle. Had it hooked up on a computer 4 times at different places and all it shows is P0352 and once it showed multiple misfire detected. Checked the exhaust flow and it is free flowing and smells very clean. Also checked the tank for vapor locking. Placed a test light on the injectors while the car was running good and all four injectors had normal pulse, BUT when the engine light is flashing and the engine is shaking and running rough the two injectors in the middle only have a pulse from time to time. The two middle injectors will pulse a few times and stop for about 8-10 seconds and then they will try to pulse again, then stop again. I hope I have explained it in a way so that you can understand what this thing is doing. Any help or suggestions on what to replace next would be great. Thanks!
P.S The PT starts very easy every time. It also idles smooth until the engine light starts flashing.
Old 11 May 2011, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Running out of money and things to replace.

My suggestion is to take it to a dealer and have them diagnose it. If you used aftermarket sensors, that could be a problem!! PT's do NOT like aftermarket. IF you continue running the PT with the engine malfunction lit, you may damage it so you can't reverse the damage. It lights up for a reason, your timing belt may be slipping.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 May 2011, 03:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here is the Diagnostic Procedure for that code.

for stingray 1.jpg

for stingray 2.jpg
Old 11 May 2011, 03:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

LOL I am aware that it lights up for a reason. I am trying to find that reason. I have just ran low on cash after replacing the parts that the dealers said to replace. It has been to the chevrolet garage twice. Once by the previous owner and once by myself. They say they only know what the computer tells them and what the symptoms tell them. I have taken it to several garages and only get mixed emotions on what is causing the problem. The fees for them to hook it up every time is costly. Haven't had the timing belt checked yet. I figured since it starts so easy and has a ton of power when running right that the timing belt was ok. If it was jumping teeth would it not get worse or would it not just run crappy all the time? Thanks
Old 11 May 2011, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh nice thanks for the info adam!
Old 11 May 2011, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PM me if you need any more info.