Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Over Heat ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2011, 02:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Over Heat ?

It's a 2001 pt. It started about a week ago. As long as it is moving the temp would stay normal. When you stop and go a couple of times the temp will start rising when sitting still, but soon as you start to move it would go back down. The temp will also rise if you are driving above 65mph, but only when driving at that speed for an extended time. It will then come back down as you drop the speed. I was thinking fan but while sitting in the front yard I checked to see if the fan was on and it was. Also was thinking maybe air in the system but not sure. Any ideas?
Old 11 May 2011, 03:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Over Heat ?

Fan has 2 speeds - not unusual for 1 speed only to die.
Thermostat?
Coolant clear? Oil clear? (poss head gasket)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 May 2011, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My guess is a partially clogged radiator plus the low speed part of the fan is burnt out. High speed (above 65) needs more coolant running around to keep it cool. Partially blocked rad will stop the extra coolant needed. Low speed or idle, the low speed fan keeps it cool, there's enough coolant but fan isn't working. If you heard the fan, that's the high speed. You can't hear the low speed fan above the engine noise.
Old 11 May 2011, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Can I remove the thermostat and run the car without it until I figure it out? So is there a relay for the low speed or is it just the fan itself that runs the low and high speed? Can I use a jumper wire to test both speeds of the fan or will that not tell me anything. Thanks for info!

Couple more questions: How long after the car runs should the low speed fan come on? I let it run in the drive way and the fan did not come on until the temp reached the half way point on the temp gauge. Is this normal?

Last edited by tbcrusier; 11 May 2011 at 08:27 pm.
Old 11 May 2011, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I used a jumper wire to test the fan itself. It runs when I jump both the green and yellow wire, but it does not seem to have two different speeds that I can tell. They both sound the same. So is there a way to test the relays. I been searching this forum and seen where people say they tested the relays but can not find a post that tells how.
Old 11 May 2011, 10:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you don't have the A/C on, the fan doesn't have to come on till the temp reaches a certain point.

If you have an 00-05 cruiser, you have a relay for each speed.

You should be able to get both speeds of the fan to run using the jumper cables. The center is ground, each side of the center runs one speed (high/low).

The high speed relay can be tested by swapping it with the horn relay (both are the same size). If the horn works, put the high speed relay in it's place and see if the horn still works. That proves the relay is good. The low speed is a different story because it's a bigger relay and there's nothing to swap it with.
Old 11 May 2011, 10:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah thats how i tested the high fan relay, but the low relay was not sure if there is a way to test it. When I jumped the fan both sides came on.Just was wondering about what temp does the low speed come on because the fan will not turn on at all untill the temp gauge reaches the middle, and i can here it running so i asume that it is the high speed that comes on. So was wondering when does the low speed suppose to come on. Is there a chance the temp sensor could be the problem.

Last edited by tbcrusier; 11 May 2011 at 10:37 pm.
Old 12 May 2011, 06:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't know what the temperature is supposed to be when the fan kicks on. I do believe that's it's only the low speed part of the fan that will come on when the A/C is turned switched on. Then as the engine heats up to a pre-set temp, the high speed should kick on.

If the temperature sensor was a problem, you would think the fan would never come on.
Old 12 May 2011, 11:20 am
Cool Cruiser

If you idle the car in your driveway for 10-15 minutes it should get hot enough that the low-speed fan will kick on. The high speed fan should really only kick if the AC is on or if you are out running the roads.
Old 12 May 2011, 11:30 am
Senior Cruiser

On my 06 I change the coolant a few weeks ago. I cracked the bleed screw on the neck by the T-stat.

Anyhow refilled it per the FSM until some coolant dribbled out the bleed.

Closed the bleed and filled the overflow tank.

Started it up. The temp went up quick and the low speed on the fan kicked on. Probably some air trapped so the T-stat wasnt opening as quick. Another minute and the higher speed kicked on.

I was feeling the upper hose and watching the temp guage. Anyhow the fan stopped and the temp dropped and I touched the hose and the coolant was now flowing.

So I assume if the engine temp gets high enough at idle you should be able to see if the high speed on the fan is working.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2