Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
On and Off Dashboard Lights at startup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2011, 05:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default On and Off Dashboard Lights at startup

Not sure that's even a good title for this.

2006 PT Cruiser, approx 78k miles on it, basic model
Have a problem and have taken it to two different mechanics/shops and neither of them can figure out what's wrong they've both told me everything checks out fine. I'm about to take my cruiser on a 2300 mile roadtrip with me and my two pets.

Here's the problem:

When I startup the car (not everytime but approx 75-80% of the time) this happens: dashboard instruments go up and then back down to the bottom, all the lights and bells and whistles come on - for a very brief moment...then they go back to normal now rinse and repeat - does it again, sometimes three or four times.

I've stood next to the engine compartment when this happens (that seatbelt ding is loud) and I can't hear any changes to the sound of the engine when it does this. It doesn't sound like it's stopped, no funny sounds, everything "sounds" normal.

Once in a while it does this 'flash' (for lack of a better word) while I'm driving, but only for a brief moment. Car has twice been a little slow to start but nothing regular.

This has been going on for a few wks now. At first it was more intermittent, now occurs at again 75-80% of the time at startup, much more frequent in the heat of the day then first thing in the am when I go to work.

Alternator, electrical system, battery has all been checked out twice by two different mechanics and both said they couldn't find anything wrong and of course when I took it in, the car didn't do what I described above. Murphys Law #512.

Sorry to be such a long post.

Help please, any thoughts welcome. I do not need this, literally, breaking down in the desert with me and my pets.
Old 11 May 2011, 05:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: On and Off Dashboard Lights at startup

When you say the instruments go up and down ...do they all do it at once or each needle in each dial goes one at a time.

Do you know the trick of testing all the dials. Pushing in the odometer while turning n the key should start a series of tests of all the dials and odometer and lights. Sounds like a short somewhere in the testing circuit. Maybe taking the instrument cluster out, checking out any connections and putting it all back together or maybe the ignition switch has a short. Might want to try either of those.
Old 11 May 2011, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi,
They do it all at once. Everything goes down, the lights all come on the dashboard, then they all go back up again. Repeatedly.

Beth
Old 11 May 2011, 06:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Would a marginal battery lead to this? Although, when the car is started, in theory, it is running off the alternator at that point.

alan
Old 11 May 2011, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Go to a autl place and have them load test your battery!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Tags
dashboard, electrical, power, starting