Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2011, 12:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing Belt?

Hey guys im new here and have read around a bit but nothing has answered my question quite yet. I am working on a 2006 pt cruiser 2.4 non turbo and am trying to get the timing belt off but cant because there is a motor mount in my way. I have tried everything to get this engine to jack up high enough but no luck to get a wrench in the back hole to get that bolt out. There is also a star bolt on the outside right under the wheel well does this have to be removed to as well? Because I have tried and this thing is on there good. Any help would be awesome.
Old 12 May 2011, 02:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt?

The top motor mount takes about 1-2 minutes to remove.

There are 2x15mm bolts holding a small mount that need to come out. This is where the long 18mm bolt that goes through the motor mount attaches to. Now, remove the 18mm vertical bolt that's up closer to your cruise control. Pull the unbolted motor mount torward you, flip it downward and pull straight up and out. Might have to move the AC lines a bit, no worries.

As for the lower mount, this one is even easier except it requires you to remove the front passenger tire as well as lower shield. Remove tire. Using a 10mm socket, remove 2-3 screws (that's how it is for my '03). You'll also find 2-3 push pins that secure the shield/splash guard to the body. Once that's out of the way, you'll see your motor mount/belts. It's pretty self explanatory after that.

Oh and btw, though I bet you already know this, make sure you have a jack (on a block of wood) supporting your engine.
Old 12 May 2011, 02:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Not going to take extra pictures for you (too cold outside) but here are some old pictures of mine to give you an idea;

Here's a close-up of a broken motor mount I had. No, the mount wasn't out of place when it broke. I simply swung it out to show that the rubber around it completely broke off. Anyway, the picture is of the 2x15mm bolts you need to undo. The 18mm bolt you need to remove is cut out of the picture, but it's straight up where the motor mount begins.

Here's the lower one with tire and splash guard off. You can't see the first bolt holding the mount but here you can see the second. Again, self explanatory and easy to remove.

Old 12 May 2011, 07:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply but the mount im talking about if that is what you would call it is almost like a metal piece blocking the the timing belt tensioner and there is a star bit bolt on the wheel well with a cut out. I already got the upper and lower mounts removed just this metal one is all I need to get off. Is this the one your talking about pulling towards me and swinging down? If so what else could be blocking me from jacking the motor up? I can almost get a ratchet into the back hole towards the firewall side I need like an additional inch and I can get it. I heard putting the tire back on it and lowering it back down and putting a number jack on the the oil pan would work. Is this true?

Last edited by itzcorky; 12 May 2011 at 07:26 am.
Old 12 May 2011, 08:53 am
Dedicated Cruiser

You have to remove that star bolt first, but make sure you support the engine from underneath.
Old 12 May 2011, 05:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any suggestions on getting it out? I alread broke a couple wrenches on it.
Old 12 May 2011, 05:38 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Put the star bolt socket and long extension on the bolt and hit it with a big hammer. It should get loose after that
Old 12 May 2011, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzcorky View Post
Any suggestions on getting it out? I alread broke a couple wrenches on it.
You might want to use a 1/2" impact to get it out. If you don't have an air compressor or access to one. Then you will need a long breaker bar. It is torqued to 85 ft/lb so it will be difficult to get out.

Once you have that off the engine will move ALOT. Make sure that you use some wood and a jack underneath the oil pan so that you can raise and lower the engine. You will have to do this repeated times to get the motor mounting plate and timing belt covers off. Also, takeing a little weight off the mount might help you get it loose.