Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 pt cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2011, 05:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 pt cruiser

Have a cruiser that the check engine light came on. Took it to the mechanic who put it on the computer and it read can sensor and knock sensor. The car runs perfectly. After resetting the codes, the mechanic(who I trust) said that he doesn't believe there is any problem. The sensor at times goes off by itself, but comes back in always showing cam sensor or knock sensor...sometimes the check engine light goes off by itself...HELP!!!!
Old 12 May 2011, 06:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 pt cruiser

Both sensors can be changed fairly easily if you can't figure out which one it is.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 May 2011, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Highly suggest you get OEM sensors, our PT's do NOT like aftermarket sensors!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 May 2011, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your time....
Old 15 Dec 2011, 03:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to echillie1

Hi ,
I'm Esther .. i have a 2004 pt cruiser 5 speed w turbo

i recently replaced the cam shaft sensor because of some serious jerking at approx 30-40 miles per hr, i used a mopar part because it refused an off brand one ...,then my car was getting hot but wouldn'd read that it was so my husband put the new thermostat & did a oil & filter change too ,now today my car is leaking antifreeze & was making a little clinging noise not bad but a little noise ,im thinking this is my water pump now any clues if i'm correct & will my car accept an off brand or does it have to be mopar ??
Old 15 Dec 2011, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well the water pump will likely not be mapar and that is ok Im not sure how much you are awared BUT when you do the water pump you will need to do the timing belt ok so maybe not NEED but they are in the exact area and to change one without the other is kind of not smart it is a HUGE labor intense job and can run from $500 to $900 depending one who and where does it the parts are around $200
Old 15 Dec 2011, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Esther,

How many miles on your PT? Your just taking a wild guess that the water pump is bad, you might not need one. The first thing you need to do is find a garage with a pressure testing kit and see where your leaking anti-freeze is coming from. The "clinging" noise could be just the metal reacting to the hot temperature because you lost the coolant. Let it cool down, add some distilled water to the radiator and get to a garage to find out where the leak is.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 09:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to echillie1

HI there, my car has 65700 miles on it.
The garage that i took the car to did a diagnostic test I don't know about the compression test,but I will find out.. thanks again! !