Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Performance Chips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2011, 08:37 am
Young Cruiser

Default Performance Chips

Just want to start off by saying I took 5 minutes to search for something on this topic and didn't really find anything so if you want to move or delete and pm me some links that's totally fine but what I'm looking for are some suggestions on performance chips. I've been looking around on Amazon as thats pretty much where I get all of my other little things like (gundam models and all that stuff ha ha ha). I found the Volo FS2-HHO Fuel Chip. I was wondering if this or other chips like it would be a good idea to install on the vehicle for the fuel savings in this case or possible performance boosts. Thanks for all the input!

Jeff 137k and still chuggin.
Old 13 May 2011, 09:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Performance Chips

In short NO.

All those "miracle chips" advertising hp and MPG gains are snake oil.

Inside these chips are electrical components that modify the signals your ECU is getting from various sensors, essentially tricking the engine into adding or pulling fuel as necessary.

In reality this creates a rich or lean condition inside your engine, which is very bad. Running rich wastes fuel and unburnt fuel in the exhaust can destroy your catalytic converter over time. Running lean can make cylinder temperatures spike, leading to kaboom.

Please don't buy this garbage.
Old 13 May 2011, 10:26 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I was really wondering as I have had friends say that with chips installed they've gotten as advertised gains. I am unexperienced this (which is why I asked) so I just want to know all I can about them before I do anything else. Thank you for your reply. I'll keep it in mind.
Old 13 May 2011, 11:47 am
Cool Cruiser

If you really want to save gas the simplest thing you can do is ease off on the skinny pedal. Keep it under 3000RPM when accelerating and slow down on the interstate.

Also, make sure your air filter is clean, your fluids are all topped off and changed at proper intervals, and keep your tires inflated to the recommended PSI.
Old 13 May 2011, 12:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
If you really want to save gas the simplest thing you can do is ease off on the skinny pedal. Keep it under 3000RPM when accelerating and slow down on the interstate.

Also, make sure your air filter is clean, your fluids are all topped off and changed at proper intervals, and keep your tires inflated to the recommended PSI.
Great advice as all of those chips are snake oil. Lot of suckers out there. Your friends are trying to save face for the money they've wasted buying that crap. Easier to say "it works" than to admit they've been taken.
Old 13 May 2011, 01:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCMIAH62 View Post
have had friends say that with chips installed they've gotten as advertised gains.
By any chance, these friends of your have a PT? Probably not, and they do make "chips" and program enhancers for other cars that work. You just can't compare what they are getting with a Honda, Nissan, Toyota etc. with the stuff that's out there for the PT.
Old 13 May 2011, 01:35 pm
Young Cruiser

I keep it around 2k on the tach. I run around 65 if I'm ever on the interstate. Had my oil changed about a month ago which included cleaning the air filter and topping off the rest of the fluids and I check my tires every week. I was just wondering if anyone had any input on the chips themselves. I was also looking into power boost chip as well and the Volo chips are the only ones I've found. I'll be looking more and more into it in the next few days. Thanks for the input.

Jeff 137k and still Chooglin
Old 13 May 2011, 01:37 pm
Young Cruiser

All true guys. The friend has a 2004 Explorer Sport Trac. I understand the differences and things like that I was mostly wondering if anyone had any personal experience in them other than opening the box and finding a bottle of "snake oil" or "snipe milk". However you may look at things. Thanks for the advice.

Jeff 137k and still Groovin
Old 13 May 2011, 03:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

The chips that perform the best and that are worth the money are almost always for Turbo engines, either gas or diesel. Mostly they just give more power ... use more fuel. Anything advertising more power and MPG is not Snake Oil .... it is Snake (4letterword), you just can't have both together.

I agree with the others, stay away from the $25 - $150 Snake (4letterword) chips that work on any car ... they just mess with your sensors inputs to the ECU. If you really just want to blow some money on Snake (4letterword) ..... get the Electric Super Charger! The one that gives 1PSI boost!

As for reducing speed .... I see far too much of this 5 and 10MPH less than posted ... if you want to participate please stay safe .... stay out of the fast lane .... always. There are those of us that aspire to get 1 Penny more fun out of every gallon for every extra penny we pay ..... and that's a lot of pennies over 3 years ago.

Snipe Milk ... I heard a 76 Coupe DeVille with 500 cubes gets 87+MPG on that elusive liquid ..... hahahaha.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 13 May 2011, 05:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Gundam models huh? nice, i used to have one of colonel Zex's goose something, i can't remember what it was called. anyways, tho's chips are just resisters that mess with your sensor that goes into the intake elbow. I'm at a loss for words right now. but in the end you would have major problems with emissions if you used one of tho's chips.

Last edited by WolfmanG; 13 May 2011 at 09:52 pm. Reason: spelling