Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt cruiser newbie with a timing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2011, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default pt cruiser newbie with a timing question

first off hello all and thanks for the great site and wonderful information its been invaluable.
my girlfriend has a 2001 pt cruiser that she just purchased. it has 155k miles. it overheated a couple days ago traced it down to the water pump.

installed the water pump, new tensioner (1st design), and belt.

like most i put the belt on twice as the first time i had a problem keeping the intake cam from moving when trying to install the belt. first time it wouldnt idle but ran ok. re did the belt and realigned the marks.

fired right up ran well.

now when doing a warm or hot start it stumbles a little for a few seconds and steadies out. if you tap the gas it revs and falls right into place.

cold start it doesnt do it.
doesnt stumble after its running at all. didnt do it in the three days before it overheated, but thats not a lot of time to get to know the quirks of the cruiser either.

there are also no codes at all that have showed up...yet. but it has been about 30 miles since the change.

could the timing be off so slightly that its only affected during a warm start?
Old 13 May 2011, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pt cruiser newbie with a timing question

Welcome to the Forum. When is the last time that you know of, was the plugs and wires changed? Gap plugs .040 and use anything BUT stock wires!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 13 May 2011, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well, far as i know never.
but i did have the number 1 cyl. plug out when i was doing the timing belt to make sure of the piston postion. and they were ugly so it is something it is on the short list of things to get.
though im sure someone has changed them since the water pump and timing belt had been changed before. from the old tensioner's plastic allen key holes being wallowed out, to the water pump and block having gobs of atv around it.
thanks for the response those just got pushed up on the to-do.
Old 13 May 2011, 03:30 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I had the same thing in my wife's N/A,right after the I changed the timing belt. I just cleaned the throttle body and the problem went away