Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark but no gas...........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2011, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Spark but no gas...........

New to this site and new to the ownership of a 2001 PT Woody. Bought this car very cheap due to the fact the disassembled head was sitting in the back of the car after "the mechanic friend" replaced a motor mount and then proceeded to pull the entire head assembly off after the car wouldn't start. I reassembled everything with a new timing belt as there appeared to be no mechanical issues. I got everything buttoned up and went to start the car. Everything sounded fine, starter spun strong but no start. Figured I'd give it a shot of starting fluid. Car fired right up and ran great for about 4 seconds until the starting fluid was gone. I can repeat this everytime. I hear the fuel pump running, there's pressure in the fuel rail, TPS has voltage and seems to work properly, but no fuel is getting through the injectors. I have not checked the actual fuel pressure but I suspect this is the reason the prior mechanic pulled the engine apart. I scanned for codes before I tried to start the engine and a bunch came up and me like the idiot I sometimes can be, cleared them. A new coolant code came up but that was probably due to me leaving a water connector unplugged. Any suggestions? Bad computer?
Thanks in advance!
fretless (usually)
Old 13 May 2011, 09:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Spark but no gas...........

Start with the basics, check all fuses, in the car and under the hood .Check your fuel pressure. Carefully look over all your wiring and there is no damage, make sure your injectors, crank position and cam sensors are plugged in and have a good connection. They are what tell the computer when to have the injectors fire fuel into the engine. Start there, before you go after the computer. If everything checks out then I would borrow/rent a set of "noid" lights (as I know them) that you can connect to the injectors to see if they are calling for fuel/working correctly. Just my 2 cents.

Hope it helps.
Old 16 May 2011, 11:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I've checked all the wiring and fuses more times than I can remember. Can anyone tell me if the crank sensor controls spark and fuel? With the help of a friend today we had the car running for about 5 minutes until the starting fluid ran out. Long enough for codes to come up to find out the injectors aren't opening so guessing it's the cam sensor or crank sensor, which ever triggers spark and also fuel. Getting closer..................
Old 17 May 2011, 06:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Foound this on a Google search .....

The camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor both help the pcm establish the rotational position and speed of the engine. The camshaft position sensor helps the pcm determine when to inject fuel to each cylinder and the ignition timing.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2011, 08:44 am
Regular Cruiser

This may seem simple but what about the fuel filter? With the adventures of prior guy who knows what else may have happened. Might have a rock in a fuel line.
Old 17 May 2011, 09:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

fuel filter is in tank if you got a rock in your tank where on earth have you been getting gas----not suposed to ever have to change the fuel filter btu then we all know about the never thing
Old 17 May 2011, 09:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretless View Post
With the help of a friend today we had the car running for about 5 minutes until the starting fluid ran out.
How much starting fluid did you use to get the engine to idle for that long?
Old 17 May 2011, 10:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

about 1/2 can. Amazing how long it ran. Maybe it was 3 minutes...I was just so excited it was running
Old 17 May 2011, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Tried a new cam sensor and still no go. I've got a computer coming tomorrow so hopefully.
Old 18 May 2011, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Put in the new used computer....varoom varoom. Success.
thanks for all the suggestions and input.