Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
replacing the mid motor mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2011, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question replacing the mid motor mount

Im a girl but do a pretty good job at fixing my car when necessary as I havent got the money to pay a mechanic. I bought my 04 pt cruiser used and boy did I get it good. The car was pretty worn out, I have a service agreement,warranty etc. after 3 tows to the lot I bought it from and telling the guy everytime the mounts were bad, he ended up not fixing them and throwing me off his lot.
So, here I am.
IVe replaced the dogbone, lower pass side, Im replacing the top pass next. but omg. how in the heck am gonna get that middle one out. Ive been told that it misses about 3/4 in coming out? help me please.
Old 13 May 2011, 10:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: replacing the mid motor mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leannaluv View Post
Im a girl but do a pretty good job at fixing my car when necessary as I havent got the money to pay a mechanic. I bought my 04 pt cruiser used and boy did I get it good. The car was pretty worn out, I have a service agreement,warranty etc. after 3 tows to the lot I bought it from and telling the guy everytime the mounts were bad, he ended up not fixing them and throwing me off his lot.
So, here I am.
IVe replaced the dogbone, lower pass side, Im replacing the top pass next. but omg. how in the heck am gonna get that middle one out. Ive been told that it misses about 3/4 in coming out? help me please.
I have never heard of anyone having to replace either that one or the one on the firewall (The dogbones all of the time). You don't want to pull the engine to fix one that isn't broken do you?

Last edited by 2004GTMAN; 13 May 2011 at 10:10 pm. Reason: sentence structure
Old 14 May 2011, 01:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Leanna, since I'm about to replace my upper "dogbone" (upper strut), I've been going through quite a few posts and have gotten a lot of good advice. From what I've read, the middle motor mount rarely goes out. It's ordinarily the upper and lower motor mounts (actually, they're struts).

So, as the other poster says, make darn sure you actually have to replace the middle motor mount--because, unlike the upper and lower struts, you have to remove the engine to remove the middle mount.

Tim
Old 14 May 2011, 01:44 am
Regular Cruiser

What miles do you have?

You'll have to either take out the engine or take out the timing belt to replace that center mount.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 14 May 2011, 07:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Since I just got done replacing a timing belt on an 04 I will add my 2 cent. If you really wanted to change the center passenger side motor mount you could without "removing the engine". I would agree with most, that mount is probably good. But, if the upper and lower torgue struts are gone it could have put undue stress on the center motor mount. You would basicly have to follow the procedure for replacing the timing belt. With the exception that you would stop before removing the motor mount plate. By taking the upper and lower struts off and jacking the engine you would be able to get to the middle motor mount.
Old 14 May 2011, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I need to replace my center motor mount and am looking for step by step instructions on doing so without completely removing the engine. Thanks!
Old 14 May 2011, 06:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackson23 View Post
I need to replace my center motor mount and am looking for step by step instructions on doing so without completely removing the engine. Thanks!
How do you know it's broke and how many miles?
Old 15 May 2011, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

i just did a timing belt in a 2001 pt n/a 2.4. i couldnt get the engine high enough to take it all the way out.
i just took the bolts out and swiveled it around to get the engine bracket/ ps mount out.
but i would think if you took the plenum off it would give you enough room to jack the engine as high as you can to sneek it out with the crank pully off.
mine was about 4 to 5 inches thick though so you still may have to take the engine bracket loose and the lower timing cover off.
just try to take as little as possible apart and keep trying to slide it out.
i would still take the headlight out as its really the easiest way to get the upper mounts out with out un hooking the ac.
its like a big odd shaped jenga puzzle.
Old 15 May 2011, 01:21 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

When I replaced my timing belt I lifted the car on jack stands, took pass side wheel off... put two jacks, one under the oil pan and another under the transmission, disconnected the exhaust down pipe and the driver side motor mount,removed the upper and lower "motor mounts", then I removed the passenger star bolt holding the center motor mount ....then I had to play with the jacks: I believe I lowered the driver side and raised the passenger or the other way around...then I think I was able to remove the center mount or first I removed the big cast iron motor mount bracket to get the motor mount out...but that's pretty much how you do it it
Old 27 May 2011, 01:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks!

Last edited by jjackson23; 22 Jul 2011 at 02:28 am. Reason: resolved