Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'03 Engine Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2011, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default '03 Engine Replacement

Being new in this forum, I've searched all I can think to search, but come up empty on answers to the question I have.
The engine in our non-turbo '03 went 'belly up' last month and I am going to attempt to replace it. I've performed engine replacements before on other vehicles so I'm no newbie to that, but never on a Cruiser. I can obtain an '04 engine from a local salvage yard, but can't find anywhere in these forums that an '04 will be a suitable replacement for an '03. I realize I may have to swap sensors, but would like to know that I won't encounter a more critical problem with mounts for the hang on parts or motor mounts or other surprises.
The local yard uses a specialized software program for salvage yards named "Hollister" something or other and it indicates an '03 engine fits an '03 only and basically the same for the '04.
It would be easy if I could lay my hands on an '03. So, if anyone has any experience with this issue, please offer some guidance.
Tks.
Old 14 May 2011, 11:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '03 Engine Replacement

Naw, thats BS, ;the '01 through '04 are all swappable. Some of the '05's had some pre-'06 markers on them that made them difficult to fit anything but another '05, then the '06 and up are different in every way. CAN buss in all '06 and up, so they would fit, but you'd have to do some major rewiring and also to the computer system.

Now speaking of that, the '04 fits the '03, but you're going to need to pull the ECM/PCM from your old car. Me, I'm no expert on engine swaps in PT's but I do know they do fit, course you need to make sure it's set up for your tranny type. Here or over at PTCrew.com you can get answers from others who have done engine swaps.

Anyway, not sure that was helpful, but gluck!
Old 15 May 2011, 10:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, Chrome, for the encouragement. I'm not sure what you mean by using the ECM/PCM from the old car. Could that be using these devices from the '04 if I use the '04 engine? If the engines are basically the same, as you noted, wouldn't swaping the sensors from my current engine to the '04 engine and utilizing the existing ('03) ECM/PCM's be functionally the same thing?
Both vehicles have automatic transmissions so I'm not concerned with that end. But, if I should be, I'd like to know why.

If there are other learned opinions on this proposed engine swap out there in this forum, I would appreciate the input and other points of view.
Old 21 May 2011, 10:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Dear Forum Members,
Really, I would like input from others. That is, if anyone in the forum has any knowledge related to this issue.
Will an '04, non-turbo engine fitted to an automatic be a suitable replacement for a similarly fitted '03 engine without a lot of modification?
Old 21 May 2011, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the engine block was change sometime and the crankshaft tone wheel was changed and at a new location on the block. as long as the crank sensor is in the same location as your current engine, just a simple swap.

if the crank sensor is in another location, don't waste your time and money.