Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Over heating noew confussed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2011, 06:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Over heating noew confussed

We have an 03 crusier and it seems to loose coolant through the resivor, and will spray coolant out from under the cap. We have changed the colant fill neck, thermostat (twice) cap, and sending unit. The book says says that a test for the water pump is to turn on the heat and if it's not working properly them you won't have any heat--we have alot of heat, Running out of ideas and patience. Anyone out there have any good news that could help me ? It would be greatly appreaceated.
Old 15 May 2011, 07:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Over heating noew confussed

Hi Pokey, welcome to the forum.You may have a blown headgasket and exhuast gas is pushing the coolant out of the tank.

there are a few ways to check. take the radiator cap off, start the car and look for bubbles. You probably wont see bubbles until the thermostat opens. Also if you see bubbles and they smell like exhaust, that's not good. You can also get a test kit from napa to test for exhaust gas.

I really hope I am wrong. Please update us
Old 15 May 2011, 08:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's it's overheating because of other reasons other than the head gasket, it will also throw the coolant out the overflow(don't ask how I know). Are both speeds of the fan working?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 May 2011, 10:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Could it be possible that whoever changed the thermostat twice, put the thermostat in upside down, or did not turn it so that the jiggle valve was aligned with the locator notch?

I don't even know if it's possible, since I just followed the directions in my Hayne's Manual when I changed mine, and put the thermostat in upside down in the thermostat housing cover (making sure that I lined up the nub on the rim of the thermostat gasket to the thermostat housing cover recess). Then I took the thermostat housing cover with its pre-attached thermostat, turned the housing cover down towards the thermostat housing, and torqued doen the bolts to 110 inch pounds.

But weird things happen when tinkering ....

Tim
Old 16 May 2011, 05:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin, are you saying that it is not the gasket? what are the other reasons that you are talking about? Thanks for the info.
Old 16 May 2011, 05:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I think it is in there right but will check. We drove the car for 1.5 hr then when we parked it thats when the temp started to rise?????
Old 16 May 2011, 08:37 am
Young Cruiser

OH!- If you are able to drive it 1.5 hours and it gets hot once its parked, I don't think its headgasket then.

the next thing I would check would be the radiator fans like Crewzin said. It sounds like the water pump, thermostat and the rad cap are functioning properly if you are able to drive that long and not overheat. Sounds like it is boiling out.
Old 16 May 2011, 08:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok thanks, I know while it is in the barn running the fan kicks on but I have heard that there is a highway fan or another fan?? Do you know if this is true? Thanks agian
Old 16 May 2011, 09:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Pokey, you do NOT have 2 fans, the radiator fan has 2 speeds. One of your two speeds may be inoperative.

When the car is cold and you turn the ignation switch on you should hear a fan running, that is the low speed. Once it has been running and warmed up and you shut the engine off the high speed should kick on with the switch still on.

Fan motors and complete fans can be found on e bay and there is stickys on how to change it out, not a hard job even for a novice.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 May 2011, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hooligan, Thanks for the info I will check it out tonight