Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pls help... engine light and codes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2011, 07:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Pls help... engine light and codes

ok so i just checked the codes on my pt cruiser. first one that came up was p0128 which means thermostat... and the second one is p0522 which is the oil pressure. i have a 04 pt and its the regular one. nothing specific. it has about 141k on it. just a few days ago i sent it to the shop cause it didn't want to start and it suddenly leaked coolant. the mech. fixed the problem and also said something about the timing belt/heads. anyways as i was driving home the engine light suddenly came on. i checked all the basics oil, trans fluid, etc. i even added coolant 2 days prior to this happening to the point where that pipe it leaks from when its full spilled out. is it possible that thats too much? its running fine and the cooling gauge reads better than normal. it runs cool. it only reaches in between at the end of my destination.
Old 16 May 2011, 07:59 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Pls help... engine light and codes

po128 :You may need a new thermostat because I think is getting stuck open.
po522: You need to replace the oil pressure sensor.

This are common thinks that go bad

About the timing belt, if you did not change it yet YOU BETTER DO IT SOON, BEFORE YOU BRAKE IT and mess up the valves and head.
It will cost you about $1000 but you need to do it at 100k miles, so you are way behind.
Old 16 May 2011, 08:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree 100% with everything XtrmDC2 just said.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 May 2011, 08:49 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thank you crewzin
Old 16 May 2011, 08:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Thank you crewzin

You don't need to thank me. You made all the right calls, just agreeing with you.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 May 2011, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

wow 141000 on a timing belt is living on borrowed time btu ill say this you get a good one most never make it much past 100,000 except that one lady didnt she say 175,000?????
Old 16 May 2011, 11:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks you guys. actually the timing belt has already been changed. that and the coolant leak in the beginning caused my car to not turn on. as far as replacing the oil pressure sensor i have a vague idea of how to do it but could you offer a little bit more insight as to the thermostat. it makes me nervous that this engine light won't go out.
Old 17 May 2011, 06:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The thermostat takes a little work. The upper manifold has to come off. Once that's out of the way it's pretty easy. You have to make sure the thermostat itself is pointed in the right direction and it's a;; put together correctly.

I can't see the thermostat causing the fault light to come on so that's probably coming from the oil pressure sensor.

Old 03 Nov 2011, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just got my wife's TB/WP replaced on her PT. A few days after the service, the CEL came on- code PO128.

Being that the dealership replaced the oil pressure sensor a couple years ago, i'm guessing it's the t-stat.