Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New and Confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2011, 08:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New and Confused

I recently bought an 01" cruiser...got it for a great price and the body and interior is mint...all the issues are in the engine compartment. It didn't idle when I bought it so I had it flatbeded to my house and that's where all the surprises started..lol. So far I have replaced the following..Upstream o2 sensor,because I was getting the code for that, the IAC valve,PCV valve, cat conv. alternator, the timing belt was replaced prior to me buying the car...water pump was also done...for the life of me I can't seem to figure out why this thing won't idle but when I go out on the road with it,it runs Great....cleaned the throttle body,wasn't much in the way of carbon in it, I'm just baffled...any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....by the way..I'm in RI so I don't have the weather as an option ...lol
Old 17 May 2011, 08:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New and Confused

Out on the road your giving it gas to keep going. At idle the pressure might be too low to keep it idling or the injectors could be clogged. Check the fuel pressure and injectors.
Old 17 May 2011, 09:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

you said the timing belt was done before you got her id check timing it dosent take much on a belt change to mess it up
Old 17 May 2011, 09:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: New and Confused

TY for the replies..I might also add that I keep getting the P0172 code..I have an obd2 scan tool that I clear the code with but alas the code returns. As far as the timing being off, I haven't checked that but was told by the previous owner that all this rough idle and stalling came well after the work was done.By the way...this is one informative site...thx to all the PT users and cruisers.....
Old 17 May 2011, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

From PT Do-It-Yourself.net:

Fault code P0172-Fuel System 1/1 Rich will require a good deal more work to pinpoint the problem. The powertrain diagnostic manual lists possible causes as: Good Trip Equal To Zero, O2 Sensor Heater Operation, O2 Sensor, EVAP Purge Solenoid Operation, O2 Signal Circuit, O2 Return Circuit, MAP Sensor Operation, ECT Sensor Operation, Engine Mechanical Problem, Fuel Filter/Pressure, Regulator and PCM. There are several pages of tests in the manual to help determine the cause of the O2 sensor reading overly rich for too long. You will need professional diagnostic tests with a scanner that can read and record the datastream to locate the cause of the fault. Please refrain from throwing parts at it in hopes of a cure.
Old 17 May 2011, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Gitch, wondering IF you used OEM sensors, the PT does NOT like aftermarket ones!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 May 2011, 11:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Gitch, wondering IF you used OEM sensors, the PT does NOT like aftermarket ones!!!!
I had to replace my downstream O2 sensor a few weeks ago. Having read prior claims that aftermarket not so compatible I asked for my garage to check price for an OEM replacement and amusingly it was $28 cheaper than the aftermarket one they suggested in the first place.
Old 18 May 2011, 09:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Did use OEM sensors...if this rain lets up today at some point I'm going to check the injectors to see if there is any significant difference in ohms between the four....Ive not seen the sun in 4 days now...and it isn't supposed to come out until sat....a garage would be so nice about now.
Old 20 May 2011, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK..so injectors were all tested and functioning properly...fuel pressure is fine..no vacuum leaks anywhere...so now what? I'm half tempted to just bring it to a stealership and have them hook up the million dollar scanner they claim to use,to find out what shows. All this headache for just a rough/non idle issue...geeeze.
Old 20 May 2011, 05:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mine ran really great when I got it, I did the 60K spark plug and wire change at about 65K, the previous owner did the first one at 35K. It stalled on the way home at the first several stop lights when I braked ... its a standard so clutch was in ... After another 10K it is still rough but I don't stall it anymore. I used NGK plugs, and some aftermarket 8mm wires and new felpro intake seals. I don't recall the plug gap, I probably used whatever is listed in the Factory Service Manual(s) all five, that I bought for the car. Since the publish date it sounds like a TSO has come out saying to gap them at .040. I do not hear any vacuum leaks around the intake halves to point it there either.

I have purchased new OEM MOPAR wires and MOPAR branded Champion plugs from the dealer to do this again a few months ago ..... but there are too many festivals down here to have to find time to do this again so I can get it idling great like it was. Maybe I will attempt this weekend, but I really want to do an outing to go see the river passing through the Bonne Carre this weekend!

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1