Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Performance upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2011, 12:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Performance upgrades

Just purchased a 2002 with a 2.4,(non turbo) man. 5speed. Whats the best bang for the buck upgrades out there? I'm new to all this so any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 17 May 2011, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Performance upgrades

Welcome.
Intake -
K&N Air filter is about $45. for 2 or 3 (or more) times that you can get a replacement air intake system

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 May 2011, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Welcome.
Intake -
K&N Air filter is about $45. for 2 or 3 (or more) times that you can get a replacement air intake system
Thank you sir! Do you happen to know the HP gains of each system?
Old 17 May 2011, 01:35 pm
Young Cruiser

The K&N last time I checked was looking at 5-10 HP again last time I checked for my 2001 5speed. It might be different but it isn't much. I did see an Airaid system that was WAY cheaper that did about the same. It's on Amazon and it looks to be about 180$ or so and the K&N (Again last I checked) was about 300 or so min. You could possibly get a tune as well but I'm not familiar with it any way so you'd want to check around pretty hard and educate yourself on the process before going through but either way should be a pretty big bang for your buck. K&N also sells oil filters and things but I generally use FRAM or Bosch filters with no real loyalty to any one synth brand oil.
Old 17 May 2011, 02:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCMIAH62 View Post
The K&N last time I checked was looking at 5-10 HP again last time I checked for my 2001 5speed. It might be different but it isn't much. I did see an Airaid system that was WAY cheaper that did about the same. It's on Amazon and it looks to be about 180$ or so and the K&N (Again last I checked) was about 300 or so min. You could possibly get a tune as well but I'm not familiar with it any way so you'd want to check around pretty hard and educate yourself on the process before going through but either way should be a pretty big bang for your buck. K&N also sells oil filters and things but I generally use FRAM or Bosch filters with no real loyalty to any one synth brand oil.
Wow, ponies cost a lot for this car! Whats a tune? is that a performance chip? I would do the air kit for 10hp but 5 really doesn't sound like much. I'm sure a lot of little stuff ads up over time, just wanting to get a plan together. Bought the car about a week ago so looking forward to playing around with it! Thanks for the info.
Old 17 May 2011, 03:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to say but you're going to be very limited as to what you can do to your vehicle. The N/A isn't meant for speed at all, but there are a few things that can help make that power more efficiently. Quicksilver already pointed out a K&N filter, and to reiterate he means the drop-in K&N filter not the short ram type.

Why? The stock air intake system is a true cold air intake. With a short ram intake, your intake will suck up the warm air from inside your engine bay.

My suggestion would be to make the most out of your car and look torwards suspension upgrades. Get yourself some Tokico Blue's, Eibach lowering springs, front strut bar and sway bars and you'll have a nasty little PT that rides on rails!
Old 17 May 2011, 05:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to say but you're going to be very limited as to what you can do to your vehicle. The N/A isn't meant for speed at all, but there are a few things that can help make that power more efficiently. Quicksilver already pointed out a K&N filter, and to reiterate he means the drop-in K&N filter not the short ram type.

Why? The stock air intake system is a true cold air intake. With a short ram intake, your intake will suck up the warm air from inside your engine bay.

My suggestion would be to make the most out of your car and look torwards suspension upgrades. Get yourself some Tokico Blue's, Eibach lowering springs, front strut bar and sway bars and you'll have a nasty little PT that rides on rails!
Yeah, guess that would be best. I already put a nice set of custom 18's on it. I'm painting the rear spoiler now and plan on painting those ugly bumpers this weekend! Should I lower the rear only or all around? looks to set high in the rear! Oh and are they all noisy? I'm thinking of pulling the carpet and putting in some sound deadener.

Last edited by reo816; 17 May 2011 at 06:21 pm.
Old 17 May 2011, 05:22 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

And solid motor mounts or inserts would help to transfer all the horsepower to the wheels sooner
Old 17 May 2011, 05:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Tokico+eibachs all the way around, why half ass it
Old 17 May 2011, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
Tokico+eibachs all the way around, why half ass it
Not half assing, LOL just wanting it to set level.