Radiator 0 0%
Water Pump 0 0%
Fan 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2011, 12:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Over heating and shut off

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser with about 130,000 miles...Never had a problem with the car since I had it in 2002. The other day the car started to over heat so I got anti freeze from the store, added it and it seemed to run out. I tried it again and it did not seem to do that. I drove it and it started to over heat again. (For the Record, I know nothing about cars) Some one suggested that I put bars-leak in and it should work. I did that and it work for about a two days. They said if it runs low to put water in the radiator and the reserve tank. I did that. As I drove today, it started to over heat and then shut off. After about 5 minutes it started and ran for about 5 blocks and shut off again. I was about to get it started again and get it home, now I do not know what to do or what the problem is, please help. I use this car to take my daughters back and fourth to school and to get back and fourth to work. Thank you
Old 17 May 2011, 12:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Over heating and shut off

What's wrong with taking it to a dealer or a mechanic to fix it properly? Every time you take the advice of someone and then take it out and it overheats, your taking the chance of blowing the head gasket or worse. Your getting advice to get you going, not how to fix it properly. You said you know nothing about cars so take it to someone who does.

Your "poll" is useless. You asked why the car is shutting off when it overheats and you put choices to the things that might make it over heat.

The real answer is that either the head gasket blows or it gets so hot that the metal in the crankshaft (etc.) expands to the point there is no room between the crank and the block (and rods) for any free play. Because of the friction from lack of room for oil, it justs gets hotter. Until finally it freezes up. When it cools, the clearances come back and you can spin it. It may run fine for a while, but at the very least the bearings are toast. And if that engine has cams that run bare in the head (with no cam bearings), then the head and cams are toast also.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 May 2011 at 12:49 pm.