PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
head question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2011, 06:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default head question?

3 day old 2001 pt cruiser.over heats.
so after the h20 pump change, time belt, tensioner,t stat, cap. still over heating at weird intervals.
after looking at the overheating posts on here.......

.....no, im not bleeding it wrong.

yep. i think thats the signs of the blown head gasket/ warped head, exhaust in the coolant.......<insert slough of yo sammity sam rantings>

at least i still haven't got all the greese out from under the nails yet from every thing else.

so is there anything i should tell the machine shop? is there a standard for how much is shaved/decked?
Old 17 May 2011, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: head question?

Don't have your answer but are you sure the head is warped? Is that info from the shop?
Old 17 May 2011, 08:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no i dont really know ill have to take it off.
ill cross my fingers.
its just got all the signs for the exhaust leak into the colant.
it was had for a good enough deal and in over all good enough shape to tear into it again so well see.
Old 17 May 2011, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You have a good chance that all you did was crack the head gasket unless you kept running for awhile when it was overheating. Good luck.
Old 18 May 2011, 09:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

i was reading over the procedure for head gasket replacment last night and today. 1 question for the collective is: do you have to do the cam/crank relearn? which i assume something has to be done, but does it have to be done with the "DRB tool"?
Old 18 May 2011, 03:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I hope someone comes along for yo with a good answer but I've never heard anyone talk about a "relearn procedure" for that kind of work. The tranny sometimes needs a relearn.
Old 18 May 2011, 05:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnhardee View Post
i was reading over the procedure for head gasket replacment last night and today. 1 question for the collective is: do you have to do the cam/crank relearn? which i assume something has to be done, but does it have to be done with the "DRB tool"?
Your PCM does need to 'familiarize' itself with the new sensors, but it's not a relearn. You REALLY need to make sure you have power disconnected at the battery when you replace them. This allows the PCM a clean startup when you are all done. Complete all the work, then reconnect the battery, then let the car idle for at minimum 5 minutes before driving. Really want it to get a bit warm. Then you really should do a 20 minute drive after that, anywhere, stop and go, highway, both, so that your PCM "takes it all in". Too many people put new parts on their car and then just jump in and drive away immediately. You need to allow your car time to adjust to the new components, but doesn't take more than 30 minutes total.

It's not necessary to go through this on the pre-'06 models but I would anyway. Anything after '06, when Chrysler moved to the s&*tCAN buss system, you really MUST follow a simple process to make sure your vehicle accepts any component that feeds the CAN buss.

Common sense should lead the way....
Old 20 May 2011, 11:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

First, the heads are good pieces, they rarely warp.
IF it's warped, ensure the cam journals are what's straight, otherwise the
gasket surface may be straight, but cams will not be in a straight bore.

second,
the relearn procedure in unneeded, UNLESS factory assembled intake cam
out of time. (this would be really, really rare, but has happened.) All it
would do is trip a CEL for this fault.

Again, you'd have to be very unlucky
Old 20 May 2011, 12:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Since you said the overheating is intermittent I wonder if your fan speeds are working okay or perhaps your temp sensor is bad. A warped or cracked head would result in an pretty consistant overheating fault. Also there is a good chance you would see it in your oil or smell it in your exhaust. Are you loosing coolant or is your oil milky?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 20 May 2011, 03:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i havent done the co test. but after i got timing belt water pump wraped up i tried to bleed the coolant system. which before i did the pump i did the test on the fan, and checked the rad for flow, dirt and leaks. i did buy a new temp sens. too when i bought the thermostat. though not mopar which i have read that these cars dont like after market sens. but at the time i didnt know.
when done i could not get all the bubbles out of coolant. light bubbles but still present.
100 miles was put on the car then it over heated.
i thought well it hit an air pocket that i didnt get out.
i let the car cool, cranked it and started adding fluid.
when filled let it cycle a few times put the cap on and started the bleed procedure. the fan was on at this point.
i did this over the 20 min. as the car heated more and more bubles and much larger too became present in the line till about half the coolant had been pushed into the resivor and out the cap.
after the large amount of fluid was pushed into the resivor the car over heated in less than 5 min. due to the lack of fluid left.
unless the fans are just cutting in and out, it seems it has the signs of a exhaust getting into the coolant. or a head to block leak.

Last edited by jhnhardee; 20 May 2011 at 03:27 pm. Reason: information