Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Would you???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2011, 07:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Would you???

Vehicle is a 2002 automatic non turbo. Transmission was already rebuilt, and a cooler was added then. It also has the "traction" control system...

Boat is a 15ft 1986 Sunbird SPL150....according to the specs I can find she weighs 1011 without trailer and motor...add about 500 more lbs for the trailer and 48 Special Evinrude....I figure I am right at about 1500 - 1700 lbs....

After researching here about towing last year, I did buy the Hidden Hitch which I understand has a 200lb tongue weight vs the mopar 100lb weight limit.

I tow the boat around the yard with a Honda 250 3 wheeler all the time (to move it for mowing) and it has no issue pulling the boat or even backing it uphill....I figure the Cruiser is much bigger than the 3 wheeler lol

The tongue weight must be less than 100lbs since I can pick up the front and I'm a wimp. When connected the pt does not sink more than about 1 inch, maybe less...

So yesterday for grins I went and bought a 2 inch ball for the hitch since my junk trailer uses 1 7/8. Hooked everything up and went on down the road with the boat behind me. Just did a mile loop, up to 45 mph with ease. Doesn't feel like the boat is even behind me. Tows like a dream, didn't seem to lug or mind.

I would never to it any great distance, but the boat launch is about 15 miles from me. Mostly Flat, with one pretty big hill but its the highway so momentum will carry me most of the way up without lugging at all..

The Launch is a little steep at this spot, this is my main concern. However we have launched my smaller aluminum boat there with the cruiser and it had no problems (about 850 lbs) pulling out of the water...

So what do you think? Am I pushing it?
This will only be occasional use until we purchase a new bigger travel van as a 3rd vehicle.

Old 18 May 2011, 07:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Would you???

Hmmmm. I think if I had tires that were EXCELLENT on wet pavement I'd do. Not sure why I see a struggle in the future. Honestly I don't know what the towing capacity of the cruiser is, but that looks to be too much drag I'm gonna guess and if your wheels spin your toast. Again I'd give it a go, that's just me, but I'd be sure to bring along a buddy with a truck just in case.
Old 18 May 2011, 08:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thats what I was thinking

I don't see it sliding into the lake or anything, but wonder if I might slip after hooking back up and pulling it out....especially when the ramps are wet (this is a pretty busy ramp on peak times)

I was thinking about going on an off time with a buddy with a truck and bring my chain and see what happens
Old 18 May 2011, 08:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

id do it the boat should go down the highway with ease the ramp is a concern btu iv see hondas and little fords on the launch ramp its frount wheel drive so id say it should work
Old 18 May 2011, 09:58 am
Senior Cruiser

i don't mean to be nitpicky, but is your hatch handle emblem not straight? maybe it's just me since i just got up and my eyes aren't awake yet.
Old 18 May 2011, 09:58 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Just keep some money on the side for a new tranny if you keep towing
Old 18 May 2011, 10:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Just keep some money on the side for a new tranny if you keep towing
I don't think it will harm it. It doesn't seem to notice it is back there....the boat is balanced well on the trailer too, so not much tongue weight.

Again, don't plan on towing it often. But I want to go to the lake this weekend, and I just want to know if she can do it.

I would never hurt our cruiser

No the emblem is straight, the camera angle is the issue. I was trying to show a pic of it connected, and how low the PT DOES NOT sink when the boat is on....barely at all (also have K&B nitrogen stiffer shocks on it too)
Old 18 May 2011, 10:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

And there IS full coverage insurance on it
Old 18 May 2011, 12:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I just wanted to warn you that the PT has a pretty weak transmission that any stress will help it to break sooner. BTW my wifes 01 N/A tranny went at 78k miles and she drives like a turtle
Old 18 May 2011, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
I just wanted to warn you that the PT has a pretty weak transmission that any stress will help it to break sooner. BTW my wifes 01 N/A tranny went at 78k miles and she drives like a turtle
Ours was rebuilt at 120k...there is 138k on it now...and a cooler was added

Like I said, this will be a once or twice kinda thing....and when I tow the mulch and gravel it was only 2 miles....

I baby her..

BTW I think the photos of the sunbird behind the PT cruiser rock anyway