Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with Middle pass side motor mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2011, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Help with Middle pass side motor mount

Ive had my 04 Pt up & down a weak little jack for over a week trying to figure out how to get to and replace that middle mount that attaches to the engine cradle, I think? Ive replaced the dog bone and doing the upper next but that middle one is the one that supports the engine, when the dog bone finally gave way the main bolt for the mid mount broke off about 3/4 way back, I have about 1/4 inch bolt left inside the hole. Nice. Apart from knowing how to remove the mount I could use some advice on how to get that broken off bolt out as well. I realize that I have to purchase a floor jack and sockets 18mm and 17mm right? My guy is a pencil pusher. lucky me. I can do it just need a little direction, no car for 2 weeks has me going nutz....

thanks guys

Leann =(

Last edited by Leannaluv; 18 May 2011 at 11:45 am.
Old 18 May 2011, 12:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Help with Middle pass side motor mount

Here is an idea:

When I replaced my timing belt I lifted the car on jack stands, took pass side wheel off... put two jacks, one under the oil pan and another under the transmission, disconnected the exhaust down pipe and the driver side motor mount,removed the upper and lower "motor mounts", then I removed the passenger star bolt holding the center motor mount ....then I had to play with the jacks: I believe I lowered the driver side and raised the passenger or the other way around...then I think I was able to remove the center mount or first I removed the big cast iron motor mount bracket to get the motor mount out...Thats where the rest of the bolt is right now...

but that's pretty much how you do it it...
Old 18 May 2011, 01:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Help with Middle pass side motor mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Here is an idea:

When I replaced my timing belt I lifted the car on jack stands, took pass side wheel off... put two jacks, one under the oil pan and another under the transmission, disconnected the exhaust down pipe and the driver side motor mount,removed the upper and lower "motor mounts", then I removed the passenger star bolt holding the center motor mount ....then I had to play with the jacks: I believe I lowered the driver side and raised the passenger or the other way around...then I think I was able to remove the center mount or first I removed the big cast iron motor mount bracket to get the motor mount out...Thats where the rest of the bolt is right now...

but that's pretty much how you do it it...
Your kidding right?
Why do you have to take off drivers side mount, upper and lower mounts? Is that so the motor will move freely enabling you to remove that middle mount?
When my dogbone broke it snapped off that star bolt in the mount about 3/4 back. Any ideas on how to get that out. I a chic and no drill handy. Thinking of using this antique hand drill to make a hole in it. Not sure how Im gonna back it out just yet lol... Im so screwed.
Old 18 May 2011, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leannaluv View Post
Your kidding right?
Why do you have to take off drivers side mount, upper and lower mounts? Is that so the motor will move freely enabling you to remove that middle mount?
When my dogbone broke it snapped off that star bolt in the mount about 3/4 back. Any ideas on how to get that out. I a chic and no drill handy. Thinking of using this antique hand drill to make a hole in it. Not sure how Im gonna back it out just yet lol... Im so screwed.
That drivers side motor mount is right below air filter to the right? If I have a floor jack with a 2x2 piece of wood laying across under the oil pan? The textured center plate looking thing? some guy said pt cruisers have a heavy duty one? or not lol... At this point I have to buy a floor jack, rachet, sockets, and looks like jack stands as well, will that be enough to get it done? All I have right now is my little crank jack * the one that fixes flats*
thanks
Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Getting ready to take on the same broken bolt, ordered all ne mounts and timing belt kit. my ? is where do i find a new effin torx bolt?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Don't envy either of you , Mine did the same thing, it took me a week of messing with it to get it out.
Jack the front end up with a 2x4 under the oil pan. Put front on jackstands.
Remove front wheels, remove upper & lower dogbone & take bolts out of Tranny mount, Drain Radiator.
Once engine is "floating" jog it to line up with the hole where the sheared bolt is, use titanium bit to drill using 1/4" bit, insert easy out into hole & pray while rotating out. Curse or yell Hell Yeah depending on karma.
jog engine towards, driver side as much as possible, unbolt center mount (4 bolts) take prybar & pry with all might to get clearance to pull old mount out.
It's almost impossibly tight between the frame & engine. Good luck, I would think 2-3 times before doing it again. PITA
Old 13 Jul 2011, 04:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Got the bolt from Chrysler auto parts shop. Don't want to skimp there & get a weaker one.....
Old 13 Jul 2011, 05:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Those center mounts are notorious for breaking. When I was replacing my torque struts I noticed mine is shot as well. Will be doing it (or having it done) next month.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was looking at the modern performance site and was wondering if the neon motor mounts would work? We have a '05 2.4 n/a , w/5 spd.

AGP Solid Dogbone Motor Mounts 00-05 Neon, Black

I'm new to the PT world,but i've heard its a rebodied neon ,so i was also wondering about the strut bars:

MPx Polished Front Strut Bar 00-05 Neon / 03-05 Neon SRT4

thanks for any insite you can give
Old 17 Aug 2011, 06:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

The strut bar will not work.
The mount will but why would you want to go that extreme with a N/A PT?
Don't get me wrong but I don't think you'll get much more benefits than using inserts and you will not get that much vibration, specially when you use the AC.

Here is what I use:

BWoody Neon SRT-4 / PT Cruiser solid motor mounts | eBay

But for a N/A I would use this:

Prothane Motor Mount STREET Inserts Neon 00-06 4-1906 | eBay

or this:

ENERGY SUSPENSION MOTOR MOUNT INSERTS DODGE SRT4 SRT-4 | eBay