Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tune for better gas mileage,,,,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2011, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tune for better gas mileage,,,,

We bought a 2002 PT last summer. It has 148k miles. My wife kept telling me the mileage was worse then our Durango. I kept telling her the tank was smaller so it just seemed that way. Well,,,,,i commute 80 miles per day round trip to work, all hwy @ 70 mph. My commuter car had some problems last week so I've been driving the PT all last week and this week. I have averaged between 15 and 17 mpg. What is there to improve this?? I put plugs in the car when we bought it and changed the air filter. Is there possibly a tune that would help this??

Thanks
Bob
Old 19 May 2011, 10:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tune for better gas mileage,,,,

Sorry Bob. Unless you cut down the speed that your traveling, that 70 mph will suck up gas all day long. The PT is not aerodynamic and pushing it through the air at that speed is the worst you can do. You can add probably 5 to 10 mpg if you cruised at 55, but of course nobody travels at that speed.

I proved it to myself a couple years ago when I was going down to Tampa about 2 times a month for car shows and to meet up with one of the PT clubs I belong to. It's 100 miles and we have a road called the Suncoast Parkway, no stopping the whole way. Speed limit 70 and I was getting around 15-17 mpg because I was traveling between 75-80. One day I left a lot earlier just to prove what I've been reading and put the PT on cruise control at 59. I forgot to take down the exact mileage but I used to take almost half a tank to get there and that day only used about 1/4. Try it yourself one day.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 19 May 2011 at 10:09 pm.
Old 19 May 2011, 11:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tune for better gas mileage,,,,

Crewzin is (as always) right on i drive close to 200 a day mostly interstate and if i run 70-80 it kills me if i run 65-70 its not to bad--oh and if i push it to the land of living on the edge and run in the 80-90--(some days that is about how the traffic runs ) well tis fun to drive but i can watch the gas guage drop

i usally get in the 20-22 range
air up the tires to a little past full
change your wires to anything but stock
drop in a K n N air filter
Run some sea foam or injector cleaner through
and try driving under 70
see what you get