PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

water pump replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2011, 03:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question water pump replacement

I've searched and searched everywhere including how-to section and can't find what I'm after...

I have a 2001 PTC Limited NA. Water pump is now spewing...and want to do it myself. Can anyone point me to instructions on doing the job? Doesn't appear too terribly difficult...at first glance.

Thanks in advance!
Old 20 May 2011, 06:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: water pump replacement

John.

It may appear to be "not too bad" but the instructions for the changing of the water pump are exactly the same for the timing belt. About 5 to 7 hours of labor because of where it's located on the engine block. That's why, if you do a search for the timing belt, you'll find that we recommend to everyone to change the water pump when doing the timing belt.

Answers.com - How do I change the Water pump 2001 pt cruiser 2.4
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 20 May 2011, 06:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyx View Post
Doesn't appear too terribly difficult...
Your in for a surprise. Search for timing belt replacement. Same procedure and you would be better off to replace it along with tensioner while your in that deep as everything has to be removed to get to the water pump.

My rides: 2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!
2003 cranberry 5 speed GT - Fishing with a sleeper Stage3 setup!

Her Ride: 2006 Electric Blue Touring, auto -Daily driver, car shows with tons of A/V!

Old 20 May 2011, 06:54 am
Senior Cruiser

crewzin beat me to it....again

My rides: 2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!

Her Ride: 2006 Electric Blue Touring, auto -Daily driver, car shows with tons of A/V!

Old 20 May 2011, 08:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys - was afraid I read "remove timing belt" as one of the steps and thought "nah, that can't be right".... Doh!

Funds are tight, looks like my day off will be gettin' dirty.
Old 20 May 2011, 11:12 am
Senior Cruiser

You can use Bars Leak to get you by until you have money to do the whole thing, just flush cooling system out good though. I used this myself and have tore down engines that have had this ran though it for a good bit and nothing clogged up in them. Dont have any experince with other brands of stop leak though.

Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: water pump replacement

Long story short - used the Bar's Leak in the radiator and Niagra Falls turned into a moderate trickle, and then headed in the direction of Niagra again after about 10 days.

Ran into a 30-year mechanic (not 30 years OLD, but 30 yrs in the biz) with his own big lot in Scottsdale who does everything by word of mouth (and yeah, I highly recommend him). I supplied him a new water pump and and he replaced it for a WAY fair price (under $300). Turned out it appeared the previous owner had already done the timing belt - because it appeared in really good shape and also to be at least tooth off. After it was back together it runs like a champ and doesn't idle like an industrial popcorn machine!

Last step is getting my A/C running again (it had to be disconnected to do the job). That's another battle I think I can solve. We'll see. It's supposed to be 108 degrees tomorrow...

If anyone wants this guy's contact info, let me know. He's in N Scottsdale and doesn't charge Scottsdale prices! email me: it's my username @gmail.com.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

$300 is a steal glad you r up and running
Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

You should have replaced the belt at the same time, it's not very expensive. I wish the mechanic lived near me.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 14 Jun 2011, 07:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
You should have replaced the belt at the same time, it's not very expensive. I wish the mechanic lived near me.
Believe me, I wanted to do the timing belt too but funds are less than available in these times (at the moment...)...turns out it had already been done by the previous owner anyway.

and yeah, the guy does great work for super fair prices. paying in cash helps him too.

Tags
water pump