Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Alternator ate some wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2011, 09:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Alternator ate some wiring

Help! When I checked the accessory drive belts and alternator belt on my daughter's 02 PT (because of what I thought was a frayed belt reinforcement lying in my driveway), I found 4 wires coming out of the forward harness (along RH frame rail) that had gotten too close to the alternator pulley and got caught up in it and shredded. Here are the colors of the 4 wires: black, blue/red stripe, tan/red stripe and green/black stripe.

Anyone know what they go to? I drove the car yesterday before working on it and the a/c worked fine after I got going (sitting still in driveway, though.. not so much). I'm suspecting a cooling fan circuit, although the car did not run hot. Have no idea where the other ends of the wires are.. pretty tight in there. Anyone have a diagram that lists wire colors?
Old 21 May 2011, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Alternator ate some wiring

The wiring diagram isn't of the whole car (it would be 20-25 pages long) but broke up into separate pages for all the different parts of the car. Example: charging system, starting system, exterior lights, interior lights, turn signals, windshield/rer window wiper system, power windows, power door locks, air conditioning and heating system, engine cooling fan system, radio system, rear window defogger, horn/power outlets and cruise control.

Where do you want to start. How about using every accessory, light, switch you can find to see what doesn't work?
Old 21 May 2011, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Since it goes down the RH frame rail before it branches off to these wires, I assume its on the engine circuit or front lighting. I checked the front lights... they all work. There is no warning light alerting me that the alternator is not working, and no indications of the battery olosing charge. so I assume that it is not the alternator circuit. The a/c worked when I dorve it last night, and this wire chew up did not happen recently. The exposed wires were greasy, as if it had been a while. Yesterday, though, I did notice what I thought might be a low speed cooling fan malfunction. The a/c did not cool well sitting in the driveway. As soon as I drove it, it cooled fine. So, I'm thinking that the wiring (which is part of the factory wiring loom) could possibly be on the cooling fan circuit. Are there wires that color on the cooling fan circuit? Once again, the colors are black, tan/red red stripe, blue/red stripe and green/black stripe.
Old 21 May 2011, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tags
alternator, harness, wiring