Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
another A/C problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2011, 10:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default another A/C problem

Ok so this A/C was probably caused by me but I think it was already messing up let me run it down I was driving my 2006 base model pt automatic 62,000 miles had the AC running and at stops the engine would sound like it would want to shut off and the AC air would start blowing warm air.so I picked up a self refill freon bottle (bad mistake on my part should of took it to a shop) I filled it up to were it said using a gauge and every thing was perfect AC blew super cold no more problems with the idle I thought I had solved the issue boy was I wrong about a hour or 2 later the air was blowing hot re checked the pressure and it shot up to the red so I bleed it off thinking I might of over filled it re filled it and nothing. Now the compresser clutch won't kick in and the high speed fan for the condinser doesn't turn on either I'm thinking I burnt up the compresser any thoughts thanks
Old 22 May 2011, 07:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: another A/C problem

The system won't work if both the high and low pressures are correct. The sensors are probably noticing this and not letting the compressor come on. Have it corrected at a shop. The fan is a different story. You say the high speed isn't working, is the low speed coming on? Was it working before? Have the A/C checked first and then see if the fan comes on at low speed when the A/C is switched on. The high speed part of the fan won't kick on till the temperature raises and the gauge reads at least half way.
Old 22 May 2011, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The system won't work if both the high and low pressures are correct. The sensors are probably noticing this and not letting the compressor come on. Have it corrected at a shop. The fan is a different story. You say the high speed isn't working, is the low speed coming on? Was it working before? Have the A/C checked first and then see if the fan comes on at low speed when the A/C is switched on. The high speed part of the fan won't kick on till the temperature raises and the gauge reads at least half way.
Thanks alot crewzin. I thought the high speed fan was suppose to come on with the AC I guess I was misinformed . I will check to see if the low speed fan comes on and take it in to get serviced thanks
Old 22 May 2011, 08:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hm? My high speed fan kicks on the moment the A/C is turned on.

Tim
Old 22 May 2011, 09:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Hm? My high speed fan kicks on the moment the A/C is turned on.

Tim
Tim,

That's always been a contention as to which speed comes on. Some say high, some low. I tried it myself a month ago to make sure I would say the right thing and it was low, so low I had to make sure it was even turning. When the high speed does kick on when everything heats up, there's no missing the noise of the fan. It's louder than the engine noise. That's how I was doubly sure it was only the low coming on with the A/C. I'm not doubting you one bit that your high speed came on and I'm not sure why there's a difference in some PTs.