Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Heater Hoses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 May 2011, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Heater Hoses

Goodyear Replacement Belts and Hoses 5017 - Goodyear Super Hi-Miler Hose Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Just ordered these in order to had dress to my engine bay. 2 questions:

1: What the hell is a bypass hose?

2: When replacing the heater hoses, do I need to drain anything like I will have to do when changing the lower radiator hose?
Old 22 May 2011, 04:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Heater Hoses

Haven't done the heater hoses, just covered them with split chrome. Did do the upper radiator hose with stainless steel. I would think your answer is yes, you will loose some coolant taking off all the hoses. If the coolant is good, I'd drain the radiator and catch the coolant to re-use. the radiator and heater hoses should be just about dry when your ready to do them.

Doing a Google search, there's no listing for a By-pass hose on a PT. I could be wrong.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 May 2011, 04:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

The bypass hose bypasses the thermostat so that when you fill up the radiator the engine is filled up at the same time. On engines without this hose...or an internal passage that has the same function, you either have to pull the thermostat to get water in the engine or fill up the radiator run the engine till the thermostat opens, then shut the engine down and wait for an hour for the engine to cool off so that you can fill up the radiator again. As soon as the thermostat opens water tries to pour into the engine but immediately turns to steam and water geysers out of the radiator.

Heater hoses are usually at or near the top of the engine, so you only lose the water in the heater core...if that. You will probably need to bleed the system since the radiator is lower than the heater core.
Old 22 May 2011, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I intended on draining the radiator before I start the project just because I know that is part of changing the lower radiator hose. Will that also take care of prep work before I remove the heater hoses?