Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0700 code that lies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 May 2011, 05:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0700 code that lies

After searching these forums for possible fixes for my 01 PT cruiser's check engine light, I've tried a few things, and none have worked. It is stuck in limp in mode, giving a p0700 code. Took it to a mechanic friend who scanned the TCM for the actual code, and it reported that the 2-3 and overdrive shift solenoids were stuck. I replaced the shift solenoid pack, no dice. Same p0700, same "stuck" solenoids. The mechanic then checked the wiring from the transmission to the TCM to make sure that no wires were broken or kinked...they all checked out. The car went into limp mode some time during the winter for about an hour, then after turning it off then back on, it was fine until a month ago.

All logic to me says that since the TCM thinks the shift solenoid pack is bad, but it has been replaced, that the TCM itself is at fault. There are no signs that it would be a mechanical issue (fluid checks out, no grinding, had no issues shifting until it went into limp in mode). I was driving and the check engine light came on, and it stopped shifting.

Any other suggestions? After fixing what seems like every "common" issue with my cruiser, I don't want to keep pumping money into it unless it will put it back on the road, and I am not in a position to be able to gamble with $100-$200 on a possible fix.
Old 22 May 2011, 06:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: P0700 code that lies

I would try a new tcm contol relay. If it's the same as another one in the PDC, just swap it.

If problem persist, I would load test those control wires. If a wire has one strand of copper hanging on, it will test good and have good continuity. It however will not have enough amperage to light up a bulb. Can't think of how many times I've been bitten by that, ruling out the wiring only later to find out it was mostly rubbed through.
Old 03 Jan 2014, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: P0700 code that lies

Winter is the worst....my 03 will not go into gear. Spent tons of money to fix front end. Summer time drives like a dream, has leaks everywhere lol. Only transportation so now I get the 0700 code again. Omg wish I'd bought a chevy
Old 03 Jan 2014, 08:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: P0700 code that lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia9175 View Post
Winter is the worst....my 03 will not go into gear. Spent tons of money to fix front end. Summer time drives like a dream, has leaks everywhere lol. Only transportation so now I get the 0700 code again. Omg wish I'd bought a chevy
Normally if an ATX 'won't go into gear',it could be a faulty neutral safety switch,and it's not going to 'miraculously' get better when it warms up.
Old 04 Jan 2014, 03:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Alicia; Before you get too excited ...... check the transmission dipstick level ---- use atf+4 only. If ok, then have someone with a code reader pull the transmission codes.

Does the transmission make any whining sounds?
Does the shift lever feel normal?
When was the transmission filter changed?
Old 04 Jan 2014, 07:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhiggins View Post
After searching these forums for possible fixes for my 01 PT cruiser's check engine light, I've tried a few things, and none have worked. It is stuck in limp in mode, giving a p0700 code.

Any other suggestions?
Had this problem... the fix was replacing the trans computer (left front wheel well)

Old 04 Apr 2014, 12:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, I have two big problem, two codes in my 02 pt cruiser one is
P0605 PCM Random Acces Memory (ram),,, and
P0700 transmision control sistem
I hope fixing it by changing the TCM .. any advise
Old 04 Apr 2014, 02:01 am
Banned

Hello Antony

I am busa powered, aka "bass boss"

I would like to welcome you to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antony View Post
Hi, I have two big problem, two codes in my 02 pt cruiser one is
P0605 PCM Random Acces Memory (ram),,, and
P0700 transmision control sistem
I hope fixing it by changing the TCM .. any advise