Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
intermittent check engine light..no code

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2011, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default intermittent check engine light..no code

hello, i am new to this site, i have an 07 pt cruiser, auto, with 95k miles on it.soon after i bought it the check engine light came on and it went into limp mode.after shutting it off and restarting, everthing is fine. it happened a few more times over the course of two months. i had my oil changed a few weeks back, and now it is doing it more frequently, almost once a day.i did the key dance to retrieve a code and all it says is done.i have tried having the code read with a hand held reader right after it happened and it came up with no codes. could it be the knock sensor, a friend had told me that it happened to him and it only showed up on a diagnostic computer. he also said it might be the timing belt, but i would think a cam or crank sensor code would show up.i have found alot of good info on this site , and am hoping that someone might be able to help point me in the right direction....thank you in advance.
Old 23 May 2011, 04:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: intermittent check engine light..no code

It is possible that your belt lost a few teeth, or rather smoothed out a small section and you've possibly knocked it out of timing, it can get bad enough to go into limp mode from that. Do you ever have any backfire? Is this a Turbo or an NA? Single sensor failure will not send the PT into limp mode, but you maybe have multiple sensor failures. You say you had it scanned by a handheld OBD tool, was that at like an auto parts store? If not, I'd suggest letting them take a look.

Old 23 May 2011, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

its non turbo....it doesnt backfire and if you stop and shut the key off, it goes back to normal and the check engine light goes out after a few starts and it might stay that way for a day or two,and it runs great. i took it to autozone as soon as it happened and they pulled no codes.my friend has a code scanner and he pulled no codes.it might happen when i am sitting at a light idling or going 65 down the freeway.its also an automatic.
Old 24 May 2011, 10:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well i was hoping for a little heip on this problem....but....i guess this is a problem that no one else has seen.....i reseated the plug wires on the ECM last night, and only had the problem occur once which is a big improvement so i am thinking it may be a connection on the ECM.i am going to pull and reseat all the plugs this weekend, and if it fixes the problem , i will post it.
Old 24 May 2011, 10:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks chromenut for taking a stab.
Old 25 May 2011, 07:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How's the battery? There are many reports that when the battery gets low in a PT, 'gremlins" can pop up.

Bad/intermittent grounds can drive you nuts - maybe add another ground or two - I ran another ground from battery to engine block, and another to engine computer housing on firewall - like chicken soup, can't hurt.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 May 2011, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

didnt see any one ask about your timing belt has it been changed??? io not you are ready are the wires still the stock wires??? if so again time to replace them with anything EXCEPT stock Mopar wires they suck maybe check the plugs as well
Old 25 May 2011, 10:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

the battery is good, but i will run a extra ground to the ecm, and will replace the plug wires this weekend. i am not sure if the timing belt has been changed or not, and i thought maybe it had a little stretch and could be confusing the cam or crank sensor, but i would think there would be a code?. i will try a few other things before i attempt to change the timing belt. one way or another i will get to the bottom of this.....i have a k&n drop in filter, could that be causing it?
Old 25 May 2011, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Nope a lot of us run the K&N
when the check engin light comes one there is suposed to be a code some reason the computor was triped not sure why its not showing up

timing could be out a bit you will ahve to do the timing belt soon
Old 25 May 2011, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hmmmm didn't think about the battery. I thought my battery was good too. Had weird tings happen, like my airbag light would come on and stay on after starting the engine, then the check engine light would come on when I was sitting at a stop light, but just every once in a while. Happened sitting in front of an Advance Auto parts store, so I u-turned and had them pull the codes and nothing showed up. Asked them to pull out the battery load test bank, and the alternator tester, and sure as sh*t, bad cell on the flipping battery! Replaced it with one that has a bit more oomph to it (higher cca, etc.), and the problem has never returned. Forgot all about that.....