Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dealer Does Basic Maintenance, Check Engine Light Next Day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2011, 06:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Dealer Does Basic Maintenance, Check Engine Light Next Day

We had a lot of problems with our 2006 Base Cruiser when we bought it 3 years ago, but in the last 1.5 it's been ok. We switched to a closer dealer for car repair after we bought it, but recently moved and the original dealer is now closest.

So I made the mistake of making an appt with them for an oil change, tire rotation, and my husband wanted a tune up (and opted for the major tuneup). Took it in last night, they did the work ($300+), and told my husband it needs front rotors and that they are too thin to machine so he needs to make an appt for that. And I noticed on the paperwork (didn't tell him though) they notated that the control arm bushings are starting to come out.

This morning on his way to work, the engine started chugging/sputtering and the check engine light came on. He just happened to be passing the exit for the dealership so drove it right over. They are going to check it out.

My fear is that whatever they did with the 'tune up' screwed something else up. The car ran perfectly when we brought it in, and I would expect it to run better coming out, not worse!

My question is, would a problem with either the rotors or the control arm bushings cause the engine to chug and the check engine light come on?
Old 24 May 2011, 07:07 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Dealer Does Basic Maintenance, Check Engine Light Next Day

No, the control arms and rotors would not make the engine run like that....
About the check engine light it can be a millions of thinks, related and not related to the tune up. I don't think a tune up would do that because you can only change spark plugs, wires, pcv valve, and TB cleaning, I guess....pretty simple stuff, but in the other hand I NEVER trusted "stealerships", thats why I'm always the ONLY person to work on my car
Next time you get the check engine light on, just do the "key dance" to retrieve the codes so you can get an idea of the problem you have, before you take it for repairs /
Old 24 May 2011, 07:33 am
Regular Cruiser

I just find it mighty suspicious that it was running fine, we take it in for a tune up, and THEN the check engine light comes on. I'm sure they did something to it, now to just wait and see what it is!
Old 24 May 2011, 09:26 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Yeah, I know it sounds suspicious.... but unless you know the engine light code don't jump into conclusions
Like I said, it can be a million of things...maybe its a camshaft sensor for what you described...but you need the code first..

Keep us informed
Old 24 May 2011, 11:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I am guessing a MAJOR Tune Up may include wires and plugs PVC and oil change air filter??? there isnt much else to "Tune Up"

The light could be anythihng as already said and I really dont think the dealer would do some thing to get more work--I know some do bu to me it sounds like and can sensor

keep us informed ill like to knwo they find

One more thing Im guessing you guys dont work on your car?? the breaks and rotors on a PT are about one of the easiest to change and a lot cheaper at a auto parts tore than a dealer
Old 24 May 2011, 01:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

The verdict is...loose ignition wire. One of the new ignition wires kept popping off. My husband was able to get home last night ok because we only live 10 minutes from the dealer, but it had worked itself off this morning. They put on a new wire and say it's fine now. I love it when it's a simple fix! At least it makes me feel good about going back to a place and knowing they'll be honest enough to say it was something little, if you know what I mean. I'm always worried we'll get taken to the cleaners because we are clueless about auto repair.

I am having them do the front rotors while they have it so I don't have to make another appointment. I was just saying how I wished we knew how to fix stuff!
Old 24 May 2011, 01:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
One more thing Im guessing you guys dont work on your car?? the breaks and rotors on a PT are about one of the easiest to change and a lot cheaper at a auto parts tore than a dealer
Agree. You can get better rotors and pads that aren't just compressed dust From NAPA or other parts places, either do it yourself or have a local mechanic do it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 May 2011, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPTCruiserInPA View Post
I am having them do the front rotors while they have it so I don't have to make another appointment. I was just saying how I wished we knew how to fix stuff!
One of the easiest ways to learn how to fix "stuff" is to buy a Haynes PT Manual and a few tools. All I can say is other than major work most of the minor fixes can be done by almost anyone!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 24 May 2011, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

and there are a lot of guys on here who are more than willin to help heck if we lived closer it would look like a dealership at some bodys house