Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The overheating saga continues...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2011, 08:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default The overheating saga continues...

So I took my 01 PT in to a well respected, recommended radiator shop in town because I had been thinking it was not right after the fan replacement, radiator cap replacement, flush and fill and head gasket test (negative).
When I have the AC on in traffic the needle rises above the halfway point on the gauge and this is when I panic. Shut off AC, turn on heat and she comes back to right on the mid line (or just a hair below).
Anyway, the shop ran it for 3.5 hours straight yesterday, AC blasting, and he never got a reading over 208 degrees which he said is within the normal operating range. He said the gauge went about two needles-width over the mid line, but never moved from there.
My question is, should the needle ever get above midline? I trust this shop as he is familiar with PT's and their problems with overheating, but want some real world experienced folks to reassure me. I'm going to try it tonight on the ride home and see if the needle does in fact stop just above half (without letting it get to 3/4 of course).

Any advice is appreciated. This is getting frustrating and running the heat in central FL in the afternoon is not fun...
Old 24 May 2011, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The overheating saga continues...

Personally, I wouldn't worry if that ALL it goes to and stays there. Three and a half hours without overheating in one spot with the A/C on, your good. Is the A/C good and cold?

When you had your panic attack, how far did it go above half way or was it the fact it was even going past that point that got you worried? Even 3/4 wont' hurt if it's just a short while, just not any further than that.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 May 2011, 11:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

like the MAN says if it goes a little over but STAYS there your ok no all gagues are 100% right its when it starts climing and does not stop you have a BIG problem

And not to be a smarty btu you took it to a shop you say you trust so why do you not not trust them????
Old 25 May 2011, 08:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I got her out on the road and it went up to 3/4 after about 20 minutes of stop and go. Took it back to the shop, he hooked the computer up and it was at 265 and now thinks it may be an efficiency issue with the radiator (as I suspected) because when I'm moving it's still going up (not an airflow issue) so we're going in for a radiator-ectomy tomorrow. $325 is what he quoted me including parts. That seems fair to me, any opinions?

That's a good point cruserdad...I think he was just trying to rule out that I was an idiot the first time so I trusted him, I just didn't think he was seeing what I had been seeing.

Will update after surgery tomorrow.
Old 25 May 2011, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

got y i was just wondering so not you r getting a NEW radiator hope all is good
Old 27 May 2011, 06:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

She's back! Got the radiator-ectomy yesterday, new radiator installed for $344 with tax. Not even a hint of running above the halfway mark with AC blasting in the 91 degree FL sunshine. Tech said the old one was wasted, very bad on the bottom, rusty, etc. so I think I've finally got this thing taken care of. Thanks for all the helpful responses/support, this forum is great.

Now I need some more horsepower...
Old 27 May 2011, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligandog View Post

Ya got it all fixed up, time to trade her in and look for a GT.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 May 2011, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligandog View Post
She's back! Got the radiator-ectomy yesterday, new radiator installed for $344 with tax. Not even a hint of running above the halfway mark with AC blasting in the 91 degree FL sunshine. Tech said the old one was wasted, very bad on the bottom, rusty, etc. so I think I've finally got this thing taken care of. Thanks for all the helpful responses/support, this forum is great.

one more little thing You may niot know but the PT requires a diffrent coolant it needs to have HOAT G-05 in it a lot of shops will just put the stuff that says mixes with all anti freezes WRONG yours should be kind of a Yel;low orang anything else is Wrong
Old 27 May 2011, 11:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
one more little thing You may niot know but the PT requires a diffrent coolant it needs to have HOAT G-05 in it a lot of shops will just put the stuff that says mixes with all anti freezes WRONG yours should be kind of a Yel;low orang anything else is Wrong
Actually the Zerox hoat G-05 is clear, not sure why but it is

Approved Vendor ZXGO5RU1 Antifreeze/Coolant

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson