PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Idle tensioner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 May 2011, 10:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Idle tensioner?

What does the idle tensioner do??

When I come to a stop light and idle (mostly when the ac is on, probably cause it's drawing more power), the car will start idling real low and start stuttering like it's wanting to die.

My grandpa recently got his timing belt replaced and they also said they replaced the "idle tensioner". That kinda sounds like what I might need since its an idle issue...but I don't even know what it is..

On a side note, the cel came on and I came up with p0441. I read that's it's incorrect purge flow for emissions or something and that it could be a vacuum leak or something like that. I've also heard a lot that after it rains, this code will usually pop up... But if it is a vacuum leak, will that have anything to do with my idling issue?
Old 26 May 2011, 08:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Idle tensioner?

In general any tensioner "applies" some amount of pressure on a belt to keep it tight. Some are preset some are adjustable. When replacing a timing belt it is good to replace the tensioner, pulley and water pump at the same time. There are prepackaged kits out there with all the parts. I got mine from rockauto.com.

Pretty much if you are going to have the timing belt done you might as well replace those parts at the same time. Chances are they need it or will need it so you wouldn't want to go through the time and expense of having the same work done twice.
Old 26 May 2011, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

hey 03TibbyGuy

First off No the tensioner haaas nothing to do with the idal of the motor like monitor51 says it is designed to keep tension on the timing belt to keep it from jumping time

what yopurs sounds like is more of a dirty air flow

How many miles on car??? has timing belt been changed??? have the plugs and wires been changed need some more info
Old 26 May 2011, 03:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help. There is about 108k miles on the car. The timing belt and water pump and all that was replaced about 2weeks ago cause the car broke down and needed it done. We told them about this problem as well when it was at the dealer but apparently they didn't fix it cause it's still doing it..
Old 26 May 2011, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh and yes, the spark plugs and wires were recently changed as well
Old 26 May 2011, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well tjhat covers most of the easy things Id guess that ran a diagostinac on the car but after all that work they may not have
Old 26 May 2011, 07:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, so what were you saying about dirty air flow? What needs to be cleaned and is it easy to get to?

Also off topic cause I don't want to waste another thread, do you know the bulb size for the headlights and fog lights so i can get some HIDs?
Old 26 May 2011, 08:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Tibby, you might also check your fan operation when the car is idling with the A/C on ....

Tim
Old 26 May 2011, 09:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Check the idle speed control motor. That is a little motor on the throttle body that maintains the idle speed when the the motor gets a higher load like the AC.
They get carboned up over time.
Old 26 May 2011, 11:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

dont know what the bulbs are and have no idea what the HID would be but hey when you find out let us know

the air flow thingee is or ar horn or whatever it is called is in the line with the air cleaner