Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dead Battery???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2011, 08:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Dead Battery???

Car has been sitting for 2 weeks. I had new battery out in, in february. Went to run the car today and it would not start, no clicking or lights, just dead. Have not tried to jump as rain storm is goin crazy outside. Does it sounds like a quick jump would fix this issue? Also when I had the new battery put in the charging system was checked and everything came back ok.
Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5in Door
Pioneer TS-A6963R 6x9 Rears
Infinity Kappa 12in Sub
Infinity REF5350A 5 Channel Amp

Last edited by Afitch628; 26 May 2011 at 08:23 pm.
Old 26 May 2011, 08:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Dead Battery???

Afitch, you might check the battery and terminals for corrosion. I know your battery is new, but I had Sears install a new battery a few years back and the mechanic didn't put any battery protectant on it (he also busted one of the male prongs to my air cleaner box).

So, here I was thinking I had a new battery and all was well with the world. The thing is, my PT has the elongated air box cover that completely covers the battery. I believe this traps more hydrogen gas and promotes the corrosion of the positive battery post and its clamp. I also suspect that's why Chrysler redesigned the air box cover so that the positive post is now exposed.

Anyway, within a few months--especially with no battery protectant sprayed onto the posts and clamps after the installation of the new battery--the corrosion caused the clamp to corrode beyond cleaning. I actually needed an entirely new wiring harness as a result.

Check the connections at your battery. If corroded, then clean them up. But make sure you spray CRC Battery Protector on the clamps and posts after connecting them up again. Ever since I found this stuff, I've had no more problems.

By the way, I also replaced the thermal blanket that had "disappeared" after the Sears Fiasco, and it really helped with slowing water evaporation from the battery cells.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 26 May 2011, 08:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

It is possible that two weeks of sitting could cause the battery to discharge, I woluld hope a brand new battery would last longer but maybe todays batteries aint what they used to be.
Have you confirmed that their is nothing draining the battery?
Old 26 May 2011, 09:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes there were no light switches engaged or doors ajar. Funny that you mention wires because when I got the first new battery it had a bad solenoid so they replaced that with the current battery and I asked if they cleaned the terminals and the battery tray, ofcoarse they said yes. After an inspection I noticed they did not, so I will have to look more closely at that. Im going to go and try to jump it now as the rain has stopped.
Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5in Door
Pioneer TS-A6963R 6x9 Rears
Infinity Kappa 12in Sub
Infinity REF5350A 5 Channel Amp