PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Whats needed for a timing belt replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2011, 08:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Whats needed for a timing belt replacement

Hello Folks!

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited Edition and just hit 94k miles. I also just finished 14.5 months of unemployment and took a temp job makein alot less then before... so money whats that? lol

Well other then its sitting in the shop right now over memorial day weekend with a snapped shifter cable (manual transaxle) It runs fine. I have the check engine light for the sensor for the power steering(dont have the code on me but I looked it up and my mechanic said the same thing its no biggie)...when the power steering pump went bad in january the sensor never went on... 2 months later after I have a new pump in it went off but its fine... will replace it eventually I dreamed of catching up on the bills first lol.

Well I have a friend who is a mechanic and he told me he can do the work cheap at his house over a weekend and can pay him off since "I know where ya live lol" So Im thinking next paycheck I want to order the parts and have him do it before I tow my little gypsy cart camper I built (750 lbs loaded and tows wonderfully behind my car... tired of tent camping and almost built a teardrop trailer but this 1 gets tons of compliments) 7 hours away in august.

So if anyone can suggest where and what to buy so I can order the parts and have him install it before the belt goes... since I just experienced how things can break down at the worst time... my camper is about an hour away, Im going to borrow my friends truck to go bring it home tomorrow(I bet the camper had fun being out in the woods by a creek in the shade while I sat at home)...I really figure its a good time to get it done.

Thanks in Advance!

deryk

btw...Im in a gully, the trailer doesnt really sit that low...Im plannin on addin airbags to the back springs to raise it up a little while its towing...tongue weight is about 80-85 lbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg at quest.jpg (63.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 29 May 2011, 08:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Whats needed for a timing belt replacement

Deryk,

Rock Auto is a good lace to get parts.

GO to: Cadillac Cars | Dealership Pricing | Kia Car Dealers | Buick Dealer | Cash Advance at Roackauto.com and click on these words.....

START
Chrysler
PT Cruiser
2.4L 2429cc 148cid L4 FI (B) DOHC
Enigine
Timing Belt Component Kit

You'll want the kit that sells for $302.79 which includes everything including the water pump which we tell everyone to change at the same time as the timing belt.
Old 29 May 2011, 09:41 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Rockauto.com sells a Gates kit for about $120 ...and OEM from moparwholesale.com sells everything for about $230....
Old 29 May 2011, 09:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That link I put in the reply was Rock Auto and looking through the few kits that they had, there's only one that had everything including the water pump. Maybe I looked at it wrong and I'm not sure about the OEM kits but make sure your getting everything you need.

The Gates kit for $111.79 says it's for the first generation and not the upgraded tensioner that Chrysler came out with in 2004. Doesn't include the new style cover to fit the new style tensioner either. But I guess if you want to stick with the old style tensioner you don't need the cover and the whole thing will cost less with the kit you mentioned.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 May 2011 at 09:55 am.
Old 29 May 2011, 09:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks folks, I guess the full kit is worth it, replace everything with the included parts and wll be 1 less thing to worry about.

thanks again
deryk