Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I need help with my continued blown fuse in my Pt Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2011, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I need help with my continued blown fuse in my Pt Cruiser

I have a 2006 four-door PT Cruiser. The problem I am having is that the ignition fuse (number 4) keeps blowing. I have changed the fuse multiple times and it still blows. This problem started about six months ago and blow a few times, so everytime I was about to turn the car off, I would cut off the radio and AC/Heat. The problem stopped happening. Then about two weeks ago, the fuse started blowing again. Now it is to the point that everytime I start my PT Cruiser the fuse blows right away.

My question is can anyone help me with this problem. Or atleast point me in the right direction, so I can fix the problem.

Thank you
Old 01 Jun 2011, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: I need help with my continued blown fuse in my Pt Cruiser

Can someone please help me out?
Old 01 Jun 2011, 11:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

You have a short somewhere. Best to take it in.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 02 Jun 2011, 11:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah you have some gremlin lurking in your electrical system, which is not uncommon for the 2006 (I have similar gremlins). Take it to a mechanic you trust who can diagnose electrical issues or the dealer if you trust them. I don't trust the one near me as they said my headlight relay was working fine (2006 doesn't use a relay). In reality they never touched the car and tried to charge me $500. Electrical systems are always a pain to work out. If you want to try and figure it out yourself and you are electrically inclined, get a shop manual for the car and start studying the electrical system. Sorry for the tangent.
Old 02 Jun 2011, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If you replace the fuse with a small 12 volt lamp, or even a buzzer, that will allow you the chance to T/S to find the short. If the short is present the light will illuminate brightly. Then flip switches and bang around to see if you can make the light go out. If you had a manual for your car it would be easier for you to disconnect "branches" to see where the short is coming from.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 11:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

The shop manual is a great thing. I bought mine off of ebay since, at least at the time, I couldn't find a general one at the usual part shops. Everything seemed to go up to 2005, which makes sense because in 2006 they changed a few things. I don't have the book here with me at work, but I can copy a couple of pages out of it for the electrical system when I get home. Have to do some flipping back and fourth between pages with how they drew up the schematic. Its kind of like a choose your own adventure book from back in the day. Lol.
Old 01 Aug 2011, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

2007 Pt, manual, 33,000miles
I'm having the same problem. #4 ignition fuse keeps blowing. I have a feeling this is a problem for the pt. If anyone knows a fix for this please let me know. I found this P T Cruiser keep blowing fuse 4 ignition

From ZJLimited

That would eliminate the output side of the circuit.That would put the short between the ignition switch and the relay.Your Ignition switch is probably bad.I cant think of a way to check it besides just putting a new one in. But don't want to tell you to change it until everything else is eliminated.

This either means the ignition switch itself is shorted out, the pink/white wire that goes between the ignition switch and immobolizer, body control module, and front control module has shorted....Or one of the modules have internally shorted. You will need to access ignition switch and check for pink/white wire being shorted and if no short then disconnect each module one at a time to see which one stops fuse from blowing.

Some diagrams could helpfull (click image for zoom)...

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...3f8022e82c.gif

Tags
fuse, ignition, ignition problems, pt cruiser