PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 Base PT, Issues with interior fuse #13 draining battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2011, 10:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to goforce
Default 2003 Base PT, Issues with interior fuse #13 draining battery

Hello, thanks for reading. I am brand new to this forum and need a little help.

I have an 03 base model and have been having issues lately with a weak battery in the mornings or after the car has been off for more than 7-8 hours.
First thing I did was check my alternator and it seems to be running reasonably within specs (13.5V@1500rpm). My battery is 12 months old so although possible, I didn't see it as being too likely that it was already losing charge so quickly.
Next thing I checked for was current flow while the car was off and consitently found a draw of about 200mA(for about 1-2 seconds) to a constant 60mA draw each time I closed the circuit. I then did an interior fuse pull and found that this draw disappeared when I pulled fuse #13 (int lights). This circuit is also responsible for the power door locks. I left the fuse out overnight and found that my battery was fully charged and fine the next morning. The car was off for about 15 hours this time. Needless to say, pulling this fuse this solved the problem.
My question is, I wonder if anyone else has had this issue or knows if it is somewhat common in cruisers of this model year and also if anyone knows what the problem might be. I figure maybe there is a short in there somewhere or perhaps something might be going on the power door locks? A module maybe? Also, since there was no chart in the owners manual explaining each fuse for the interior fuse box, (there's only the back of the fuse panel which doesn't explain each system attached to each fuse) I wondered if there is another system besides the interior light and power door locks associated with fuse #13?

Any all help/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 31 May 2011, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 Base PT, Issues with interior fuse #13 draining battery

I'd like to help but apparently they changed things quite a bit between my 01 and your 03. You say your inside fuse box has the No#13 fuse for the interior lights where my #13 is for the radio. The schematic in the Haynes manual for the 01-03 cruisers shows the power door locks works from fuses Fuse #1, Fuse# 3 and Fuse #10. So, I'd better let someone else try and answer your questions.

BTW: I think your alternator should be running a little higher than 13.5 after the car has been sitting for awhile but that may have nothing to do with your problem.
Old 31 May 2011, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to goforce

Thanks for the response. Initially I thought it might be a little low too, but the battery load tested fine several times and I am not having any issues with it charging or any problems electrically whatsoever when I am driving or the car is running... Only after it sits and not since I removed fuse #13. Things must have been changed substantially between our model years. My radio is on a different circuit, my wife is out in the car at the moment so I can't check which one it is right now... I know for sure though because the radio was the first circuit I tested. I thought at first maybe the clock started sucking more juice than it should while the car was off or something.
Interesting that the power doors are spead over several circuits, though. I did not know that. Hopefully that is an indication that maybe my issue is in fact related to the interior lights and maybe it is a simple short or something since my problem evidentally stems from that one circuit.
Old 05 May 2012, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Similar here, but different. My 2001 base model is drawing 2 mA and 3 month old battery was totally dead this AM. I have about 1.2 thru the FP/ASD fuse and the rest thru the IOD fuse (confirmed by pulling & replacing them). Along with that, I have no radio, no dome light, intermittent dash/instruments, and a no fuse message. I think it's one or two broken/loose wires to ground, but am totally stumped and afraid of how long a garage will spend tracing this! Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ron
Old 05 May 2012, 11:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

From the 2003 PT Cruiser shop manual wiring diagrams:
Fuse #13, 10 amp, protects these circuits;
sentry key immobilizer (chipped ignition key)
remote keyless entry
power mirror switch
cargo lamp
dome lamp
overhead console
instrument cluster (low fuel, low oil, low battery lights)
visor mirror lamps
A short anywhere may be the problem, but do check that the visor mirror lamps are off (if you have them).
Old 06 May 2012, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the only options I have are the dome, cargo and instrument lights. time to trace - Thanks!
Ron
Old 07 May 2012, 07:34 am
Young Cruiser

This is kind of relevant, I had the same problem in a 79 corvette. Pulled the fuse and drove it without the fuse in for a couple days to allow the battery to charge (it's a pita to jump those cars). I put the fuse back in and since haven't had that problem. So although different cars my suggestion is to try that out.

Hope this helped,
Jeremy

03 N/A CRUISER
Old 21 Nov 2016, 09:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHoof1 View Post
the only options I have are the dome, cargo and instrument lights. time to trace - Thanks!
Ron
Did you come to any conclusion? I have exactly the same problem on my 2003.

Tags
2003 cruiser, dead battery, fuse 13, interior fuse box, short circuit