Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2011, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air Conditioner Help!

I took my pt convertible turbo to a ac repair shop. He kept the car a couple of hours and told me it was ready. I picked up the car and the ac worked fine. About a hour later it was blowing out hot air. I called back to the repair shop, he said bring it back in, he wanted to check for leaks. Apparently he only put freon in the first time without checking. The second time he tells me I have a leak. He shows me where the leak is, he says he can repair it. I pick it back up, it is nice and cold for about a hour, hot air again. I call him back he says bring it back. He hands me a check for what I had paid him and tells me I need to take it to the dealer for repair. I know that is money I do not have. It is running in the upper 90's here and I need air. Any suggestions?

Last edited by danceangel; 31 May 2011 at 04:35 pm.
Old 31 May 2011, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AC

At least you got your money back. Cash the check, quick.

For the shop to give up so easily, they aren't very good at their specialty.

First, was the car overheating at all? If not, that's actually good. It should mean the fault is narrowed down to the A/C system. If the engine is starting to get hot it could be the radiator fan causing the A/C not to work properly.

The most famous fault with the A/C is the radiator fan not working on one or both speeds. Are you mechanically inclined to do some work yourself?

Let the car get cold (even in this heat , 90s here too). start the engine, turn on the A/C, open the hood and see if the fan is turning. Let it run and watch the temperature gauge. When the gauge gets about 1/2 way the high speed fan should kick on. It's much louder than the low speed and you should be able to hear it without a problem. If it doesn't come on, keep an eye on the gauge and the needle should start to raise above half way. Don't let it go towards the red. Turn the engine off and most likely the fan is your problem.
Old 31 May 2011, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am dealing with the same issue and posted about it (see my original post). I needed a new compressor and dryer, liquid line and expansion valve. Total cost around $1100. Scheduled to pick up the car tomorrow, so I will let you know. I also have a turbo, so parts appear to be a bit more expensive.
Old 01 Jun 2011, 05:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

I absolutely nothing about repairs. I did cash that check. I saw where there is a leak coming from the top of a hose. I do not know the name of the hose. The fan runs with no problems just blows out hot air.
Old 01 Jun 2011, 07:29 am
Senior Cruiser

Bring it to a dealer who has a clue and have it fixed.

THere is no magic here. My dealer charges 85$ and hour rate, the crappy Sears and local VIP shops charge 100$ an hour rate in my area.

who would I rather have work on my car if it is something I can't fix or dont have the equipment?

The dealer (Assuming they have good techs) will diagnose and preform better repairs since they see the same cars every day.

Sometimes you bite the bullet and pay.

AC work is hit or miss. Sounds like you have line which needs replacement and will have to have the system pumped down and new refirgerent added.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2