PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Possible overheating/gauge/sensor problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2011, 11:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Possible overheating/gauge/sensor problem?

Sorry for the double post but this really belongs here, sorry new member. Our 2004 PT has been great over the 80k kms we've put on it, but today my wife was driving it to work and the temp gauge topped out and the temp light came on. She of course pulled over, caught another ride to work and left it for me to look at on my way home. The car had been sitting for aprox 6 hours but when I got in and turned on the ignition the temp gauge showed 3/4 of the way to hot. The car took a couple of tries to start and within a few seconds running showed fully hot on the gauge. The motor was not warm to the touch, neither was the radiator or any coolant hoses. I immediately drove it the few blocks to home, bought and installed a new thermostat just in case, but it shows the same symptoms. The rad fan even comes on right away but still the engine, hoses, water in the rad cap are all barely warm after running a few minutes. Can there be a sensor or something at fault here? Can there be an airlock in the motor preventing the flow of water? I don't want to tow it to the dealer to be ripped off, nor do I want to drive it any distance in case I really damage something. Anyone have a similar experience or suggestion I could check to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks
Old 03 Jun 2011, 02:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Possible overheating/gauge/sensor problem?

No need to double post here, I know we look at most of the new posts!

It does sound like a sensor for water temperature.

That is my short answer. HAHA. I know some one on here will have a a part name and say where it is located.
Did you try to seach the forums on the topic?

Look here... temp control sensor

I would say replace that and you will be good.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.

Last edited by chigger_ns; 03 Jun 2011 at 02:37 am.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 06:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I answered your other post on how to check the gauge.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 08:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help, as previously stated, sorry for the double posts I should have explored a bit before making my first post. My first strange experience with this car was with the e-brake light which stayed on while driving but went back to normal after I replaced the front brake pads. I wouldn't have thought the two to be related and so thought this may be similar in nature.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

While trying everyone's suggestions, I discovered there's water running out onto the ground from what appears to be behind the centreline of the motor. Is this likely to be the water pump? Looking back I've replaced both drive belts within the last six weeks due to squeaking and in the last couple of weeks it started again. As I was looking for the water temp sensor I realized the running belts were wet and spitting water up at me. I haven't worked on anything this tight since my 1960's Austin Minis. How bad is the water pump to do?
Old 04 Jun 2011, 06:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Its hard, thats my short answer.... hahaha

Its one of those things. If you have to do your water pump then you might as well do the timing belt. Its such a pain and you have to do the same painful steps to do them both.

Just do a timing belt search on here.

A mechanics estimate is usually between $1200 to $1800 to do both.
If you can do your own you can save $1000 or more bucks. There are step by steps on this forum.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.