Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
tensioner help!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2011, 09:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am doing the timing belt and water pump change. I have taken the old tensioner and belt off now trying to put the new ones on. When I try to put the new belt back on its almost like its to small. i release the pressure on the tensioner and still nothing. Does the tensioner mount a certain way and maybe thats why it won't release enought pressure for me to get the belt on or is the belt just that tight to put on?

Last edited by tbcrusier; 06 Jun 2011 at 05:48 pm.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 09:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Please help!!!! Do want to have to do this again

Ok got the belt on and checking the timing marks. With the crank at TDC the cam marks a half tooth off with the arrows pointing up.. One full turn and the cams are one full tooth off with the arrows pointing down. One more full turn and the cam marks are a half tooth off again with the arrows pointing up. Is this right? I thought they should match up always.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 10:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Please help!!!! Do want to have to do this again

im not sure but before i put it all togther id find some one who knows its a pain to redo it
Old 06 Jun 2011, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default help!!!!

Ok I got the car all put back together and it runs just find. The problem to begin with was an overheat problem that I assumed was from the water leaking around the water pump. Now no leak so looks like the problem is fixed. WRONG!!! I still have the overheating problem. The water is cycling, I changed the thermostat, checked both speeds on fan, changed fan relays, new radiator cap, fushed the system, and do not see any new leaks. Anyone one have any any ideas. Only two parts I have not bought yet the fan and radiator. It really has me stumped. Not sure what to do now.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcrusier View Post
Ok I got the car all put back together and it runs just find. The problem to begin with was an overheat problem that I assumed was from the water leaking around the water pump. Now no leak so looks like the problem is fixed. WRONG!!! I still have the overheating problem. The water is cycling, I changed the thermostat, checked both speeds on fan, changed fan relays, new radiator cap, fushed the system, and do not see any new leaks. Anyone one have any any ideas. Only two parts I have not bought yet the fan and radiator. It really has me stumped. Not sure what to do now.
We had the same problem!!!! Ours was in a 2001 PT Cruiser 2.4L 4cyl and we changed all the stuff you mentioned, still overheating, only thing is, after we changed it, the car overheated and the head cracked. We just bought a new engine.. now we have a new problem.. lol
Old 06 Jun 2011, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: tensioner help!!!!

I have the same car its the 2001 2.4L. We had it checked almost a year ago for a bad head because it started overheating but nothing was found, they ended up just changing the radiator cap and its been fine. Couple weeks ago it started again checked everything, flushed system then found leak at water pump, so change all that now still overheating. Been searching everywhere online to see if I am missing anything but seems like everyone is having overheating problems with no solution. I just don't understand will check fan again tomorrow.
Old 07 Jun 2011, 07:17 am
Regular Cruiser

is it just over heating when you are stopped?
If so check the fan.
If while you are moving 35 mph or higher, I'd suspect the radiator core. Especially if it is the original 2001 vintage.
Old 07 Jun 2011, 02:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok tested the fan again with jumper wire both sides work. But when plugged into the harness it will only come on when the temp reaches the middle mark or when I turn on the a/c. I read somewhere that the fan should cycle at start up, it does nothing. Drove it around and the temp stayed at the half mark about two minutes then started to climb. The only things left to change are the radiator, hoses and fan. Just makes no sense to me.
Old 07 Jun 2011, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

change the fan id bet the prob will go away the fan has tio run on low at startup
Old 07 Jun 2011, 03:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just curious, is Mexico the country of assembly for your PT's that are overheating?