Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is it my alternator??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2011, 09:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Lightbulb Is it my alternator??

I just joined and am looking for some help. MY 2002 PT Cruiser with about 72,000 miles, has been experiencing heat stroke , or something. Firestone changed my battery and changed the oil gasket 3 days ago. I ran a short errand this morning and in the early evening, I noticed yet again, I need to jump start the battery. I checked the paperwork, Firestone said that the alternator tested low, but was still within specs, they recommended that I get a radiator flush, but I had that done a bout 6 months ago. Is this an alternator problem? I really love my baby, but she seems to be reacting to the quick weather changes that we have been having here in Chicago. Can anybody suggest something???
Old 06 Jun 2011, 06:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Is it my alternator??

Welcome to the Forum!!!!!

Firestone WILL always find something wrong with your car!!! Having said that, what does a dead battery, low specs on the alternator and a radiator flush have in common? Nothing that I know of. Go to a Action Auto etc. and have them check your battery under load, it is possible you have a bad battery, it happens!! Good Luck.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Jun 2011, 04:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ditto to what Hooligan stated.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same problem. Took it to get checked at pepboys and they told me that alternator was good. Took it to autozone and was told it was bad. Went back to pepboys because it came with a lifetime replacement on it when I replaced it the first time. They checked again still said nothing wrong with it. After showing them the spec sheet that autozone printed after they tested it and refusing to leave untill they replaced it, 30 minutes later new alternator and everything has been just fine. Now I have a new problem I am trying to figure out, overheating.