Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2011, 03:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Overheating

So~ I didn't know where to turn to so I turned to you all for some help!

I sort of want to exhaust all possibilities until I have to fear the worst.

Last summer, my car was overheating and leaking coolant. Obvious correlation, so I had it looked at and they put a sealant in my car and it worked fine ever since! Just about a week or so ago, my car started overheating again (thank you 100 degree temps!). I checked my fluid levels and they were fine (coolant, oil, etc. etc.) and there were no leaks anywhere.

My first (or rather, my dad who knows a bit more about things than me) instinct was to replace the thermostat, so I (he) did that. I just picked up my car from my pop's house and it immediately started overheating. I pulled over to the nearest gas station and put some coolant in. It was completely empty upon arrival, and as I was pouring, I immediately heard it all spilling to the ground. It wouldn't hold any of the coolant! I blasted the heat to get it home, but it was blowing cool air out and not really helping whatsoever.

What to do? What do y'all suggest? Did pops do a crap job installation?

Last edited by breafonmay; 06 Jun 2011 at 03:28 am.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 03:57 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Overheating

Find out where its leaking from by checking the thermostat housing, radiator hoses and the radiator itself. If you can hear it pouring out it shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited by swanjack; 06 Jun 2011 at 04:01 am.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 08:13 am
Dedicated Cruiser

How many miles you have in your car? Did you change the timing belt yet? Maybe the water pump is bad
Old 06 Jun 2011, 09:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Is it possible he forgot to screw in the raditor drain plug?

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 06 Jun 2011, 10:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

make sure he bleed the air out of the system btu it almost sounds like a water pump issue
Old 06 Jun 2011, 10:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

My car has 117k on it, but I had the timing belt and water pump replaced in November of last year. I've put on probably no more than 10k miles since.

And "bleeding the air out of the system" -- what do we mean by this? Haha.
Old 06 Jun 2011, 11:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by breafonmay View Post
My car has 117k on it, but I had the timing belt and water pump replaced in November of last year. I've put on probably no more than 10k miles since.

And "bleeding the air out of the system" -- what do we mean by this? Haha.
Either on or close to the thermostat housing, there is a part that looks like a tire valve when you slowly open it you should have either air or water coming out, if no air there is none blocked.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Jun 2011, 11:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

So my dad just checked and said the reservoir is full but he opened the radiator cap and it was completely empty. Is it possible that there's a clog somewhere preventing fluid to getting to the radiator?
Old 06 Jun 2011, 12:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

not a clog like you are thinking maybe a air bubble you have to fill this system and let the car run to get to operating temp them when the thermostat opens and the water is flowing you open the bleander screw and you will see the air bubble out when it is stright colent you have the system bled

one more thing the PT HAS to have HOAT anti Freeze nothing else will work ir may not freeze but it will eat up your water pump
Old 06 Jun 2011, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
not a clog like you are thinking maybe a air bubble you have to fill this system and let the car run to get to operating temp them when the thermostat opens and the water is flowing you open the bleander screw and you will see the air bubble out when it is stright colent you have the system bled

one more thing the PT HAS to have HOAT anti Freeze nothing else will work ir may not freeze but it will eat up your water pump
Definitely haven't been using that. Do you think that could solve some issues?